BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post ESP malfunction and Steering angle sensor

Greetings,

I did buy a used mercedes 2006 C230 sport car and when i turn the ignion on i receive a message telling: ESP malfunction visit workshop, and some time it says: ESP unavailable visit workshop. and when I try to fix the speed by Cruise control another message comes for Speedometer malfunction.

I went to workshop, and after a computer check they found that Steering angle sensor needs to be replaced.

and as far as i know that I cannot replace this part so i need to replace the all column.

my question is: does the steering angle sensor make ESP malfunction and if yes does anyone have a picture where it is located??

note: ESP message comes only without a light, and after I did reset the memory (turn left and turn right) I can control the ESP I mean when I am on road when I press ESP button the yellow right is on, and if i am driving on smooth road and if i increased the fuel the car does not move (but the yellow light is flashing).

Thank you.. and I really need your reply ...

Best Regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 11:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2002 C32 AMG
It's possible that the sensor isn't at fault. There's several things you should check first. Mainly that sensor is very sensitive to low voltage. Check to ensure the battery voltage is within an acceptable range. Also, check the ESP module ground point to make sure it is in good contact with the chassis. Sometimes the heat shrink wrap on the ground is up too far towards the contact, and that will cause bad grounding.

2002 C32 AMG Sedan [111,000 Miles]
Clear Side Markers | CL Style Grille | Flat Emblem | CF Front Lip Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | CF Trunk Spoiler
K&N Air Filters | NGK IX (2 Step) | KV-85 | LET 185MM & ECU | TVT Thermostat | PSK Belt Wrap | CM30
DIY Intercooler Isolation | 26x7x2 FB H/E | Intercooler Reservoir | Battery Relocation | Lorinser Sides
#3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 12:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
Even if the sensor is at fault, it is a separate part replaceable without replacing the column. It is a small black part behind the airbag and steering wheel.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 10:06 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1993 400E
hi guys! im getting a similar problem. just with the ESP though. just my observation! when i start the car at around 55 degrees to 60 and drive a few miles the ESP visit workshop pops up, sometimes ESP not Available. and then for the first time earlier today when i was approaching a stop light i pressed on the brakes lightly and then steering wheel and brake pedal vibrated three times. this is not the first time, the first time the car just started to control itself with the steering wheel and pedal vibrating(scariest moment in my whole driving experience). that happend maybe 8 months ago.

All i did recently was replace SparkPlugs, Clean MAF, Custom Exhaust and 10mm Spacers Front and Rear.

When i replaced plugs and cleaned maf i took of the battery and i made sure i set the windows sunroof and ESP properly, so i dont think its not calibrated.

Also when i have driven alot already and kill the car eat out or something when i get back to the car it is A O K. but happens again on cold start. what is this???

BAD alternator???(hope not) BAD ESP???(REALLY PRAY ITS NOT THAT!) BAD battery???(I hope its just the battery) OR IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE???
#5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 10:17 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

ok. i just read a thres in MBWORLD saying the steering sensor may not be calibrated, he said move steer the wheel lock to lock 5 times. is that the correct way?

this is how i did it:
start car
steer to extreme left
then steer to extreme right
then steer strait.

right or wrong?
CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG PLEASE.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 10:40 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Maybe you are right!!! because when I am driving on road I feel that car goes to the right, it does not follow a straight line, so I went to a workshop to balance the wheels they said that there is a small difference and they fixed it. but i still feel that car goes Slightly to the right.

should this problem cause ESP to malfunction???

I searched a lot on net about this problem, some people say that it might be the car (wheels) balance, others say that it might be Steering sensor, the others say the it might be ground line, and others say that it might be the main ESP electronic device which is under the hood.

I am afraid that if I replaced the steering sensor ( which cost about 500$ from MB) then after I will see the ESP message again.

what to do?

another question: is this is the steering angel sensor??? (attached)

Thank you,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steering sensor.jpg
Views:	4334
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	234991  
#7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 10:52 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Hey! im not sure about your pull to the right. might be just a alignment and balancing thing. mines is scary, the car steers on its own the first time the malfunction showed up i tried my best to keep it strait and also slammed on the brakes. steering went wherever it wanted and brakes where braking on its own, i mean i stepped on it but the brakes just when on and off rapidly, 100% sure its not ABS. car was like possessed or something.. never hapend to me on high speeds though but i dont wanna wait for that to happen.

i want to start off by asking "How exactly do you reset the ESP when you remove battery?" in detail please. then if the problem persists its time to test the battery and alternator. if still the problem persists most probably ESP system. if this is the case
me = for sale car = get an E-class = less problems...
#8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

You have done the ESP reset, it's just steering angle.

I'd be looking to the wheel speed sensors. If one of those is messed up, the whole thing will go awry. They are easy to damage when you have the wheels off.

If you're thinking fewer problems, don't think W211 E-class ... they have electronic braking that was very problematic in the early ones.
#9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 01:31 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
... no body told me if this is the steering angel sensor or not!!!
#10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 06:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

You said you have been told it is the steering angle sensor; we don't know if that is the part you need, but it is the one that is circled in the above picture. You are right there. The new one is a little tricky to install but only takes a few minutes.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class