#1 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 06:47 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
tires for C230 sport sedan

I am in the market for new tires for my 2004 c230K (5 spoke rims with staggered sizes front and back).
The service guy at the dealership says I need the Continental Sport ContactII tires b/c that is what the car is designed to have and other brands would make too much road noise and not ride as smoothly. Based on his advice, I bought them last time I needed tires, but I am due for tires already again and am really hoping to get some more opinions and to find a tire that lasts more than 20K miles and actually has road hazard warranty.
I do not use the car for racing, just regular driving around town and on the interstate to commute to work in Charleston, SC (no snow here).

How bad is this 'road noise'?
What brand do you recommend other than the Continentals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:17 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 04 C230 Kompressor
Visit tirerack.com and check out the writeups on various tires. I am usinf Sumitomo HTR 2. They are the cheapest tire on the market & I regret buying them. I just liked the tread pattern at the time! - Silly me. They are OK in the dry But have no traction in the wet.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: C230K Sport Sedan
Actually many people complain of road noise from Conti's on different brands of cars. That's what I had orignally and replaced them with Riken Raptors and they are actually quieter, handle well, have a rim protector bead, cost much less and so far seem to be lasting about the same, maybe a little longer. My Conti's lasted about 25K miles, currently the car has about 45K miles and there's still a good amount of thread left, should easily last another 5k miles, maybe 10K. When I replaced tires on my last C230, the 2002 C-coupe, I used Bridgestone Potenza RE750 and they also worked well (quiet, rim protector bead) but couldn't tell you how long they last because I sold the car before it needed tires but they seemed to be wearing well but they did not handle as well as the Riken. I would avoid Pirelli as they tend to tramline on grooved roads.

2004.5 C230K - Pewter/Charcoal - www.Buellwinkle.com

http://www.mylavista.com
#4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 12:09 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 05 C230 kompressor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn560 View Post
Visit tirerack.com and check out the writeups on various tires. I am usinf Sumitomo HTR 2. They are the cheapest tire on the market & I regret buying them. I just liked the tread pattern at the time! - Silly me. They are OK in the dry But have no traction in the wet.
Also, the thread wear and road noise on them are ridiculous, replaced mine last week with Yokohama AS430...so far, so good.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 07:59 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2007
If you got 20k, you're doing great. I've been running Michelin Pilot Sports on a C230 Sport Coupe (driven moderately) and the best EVER was 14k. Most folks tend to see about 11k.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 08:33 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Navy 1982 View Post
If you got 20k, you're doing great. I've been running Michelin Pilot Sports on a C230 Sport Coupe (driven moderately) and the best EVER was 14k. Most folks tend to see about 11k.
No, I am only getting 12-14k on the Continentals, and that is pushing it. I am suprised to hear you are not dong any baetter with the Michelin's... I checked some prices at Costco the other day and they led me to believe the Michelin's would last 30-45K! I am not positive it was the Pilot Sports, but they were pulling them up specific to the size for my C230 so I would assume is the same as you have...
#7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 08:46 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn560 View Post
Great website, thanks for the tip! The only thing is, I don't see where is gives you the expected treadwear mileage am I missing it?

Last edited by goldilocks; 12-02-2008 at 08:55 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 10:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: C230K Sport Sedan
If you guys are getting such few miles from the factory tires, you really need to get your alignment and suspension checked, that's not acceptable. I drive very steep winding roads as fast as the car lets me to get to my mountain home and usually take the MB unless it's snowing and my tires last about 25K miles.

2004.5 C230K - Pewter/Charcoal - www.Buellwinkle.com

http://www.mylavista.com
#9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 10:29 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2007
we got 27 out of our stock pilot primacy's and now have bfg g force sports.......so far so good and quiet......cheaper too....like 650 total out the door
#10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 01:52 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 04/C230K SportSedan Blk/Blk, 08/C300 SportSedan MarsRed/PremiumII,18"AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Navy 1982 View Post
I got the same set 17" with the 04C230K/SS and last 43K miles. Excellent summer tire but too much money (~$200/each) for it. I switch to Kumho Ecsta ASX Ultra High performance All Season from TireRack ($69/each) and very happy with it. Second set of the same Kumho is on another car a month ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle View Post
If you guys are getting such few miles from the factory tires, you really need to get your alignment and suspension checked, that's not acceptable. I drive very steep winding roads as fast as the car lets me to get to my mountain home and usually take the MB unless it's snowing and my tires last about 25K miles.
+1 Absolutely agree with Buellwinkle . I'm moderate driver (heavy on gas, easy on brake)

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class