Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

the nightmare battery drain wire harness prob

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Mercedes Benz of Florida 
#1 · (Edited)
2002 C240

This is one for the books: The body shop(was a MB auto body repair shop a few years ago) that repainted my bumpers cut the wire harness on the right side. The wires in the harness goes to the fog lamp and the temperature sensor. The temperature sensor was working fine before the bumpers were removed but after the reconnect did not (they used crimps to reconnect the wires and actually left copper showing outside the crimps). A new temperature sensor made no difference Now there is a 180 mille amp drain on fuse 42 which is the instrument cluster fuse. The battery drains over night. If the door was open when the wires to the temperature sensor was cut then the circuit was live then they shorted it out. My mechanic spent two days on the problem and was unable to repair it. I am now booked into the dealer (earliest appointment 1 week!). In my conversation with the dealer they might need to replace the instrument cluster and who knows what other part. It is a very disappointing start to my purchase of this car. How many thousands will this cost and I don’t suppose anybody has any experience with this or has any idea of a repair?

#2 ·
OK this sounds strange. A Body Shop DAMAGED your MB Wiring and now YOU
have to foot the bill for it??
Am I reading this right?
Heck no :mad:. Those biscuit heads need to rectify this. That is why they have
Insurance. For bone head mistakes like this.

It's NOT Rocket-science. Trace the wiring, and perform a continuity test.
Sheesh you telling me no one knows how to do that?

Please don't foot the bill for this. It's a straight forward electrical repair.
What does replacing an Instrument cluster have to do with ANYTHING?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.