Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Re-drill Cross drilled rotors?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  FrankW 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I'm a newbie to this forum but I have learned a wealth of knowledge so far. I've done a search for my question but have not been bale to find an answer. It's time for my front brakes to be serviced ( I have 23k on OEM pads and rotors) and they are cross drilled. My local delaer is telling me that I don't need the rotors turned but that they do need to re-drill the cross drilled holes because of brake dust build up. Does this sound right? I've never heard of such a thing and I'm hoping to get some feed back from all the informative people here. I appreciate your responses. Also should I stay with OEM replacement pads or do dealers carry other brands that don't produce so much brake dust. This is the first vehicle I have had that has produced so much brake dust.

#4 ·
FrankW..... Thanks for the advise. How do I know if I need to have the rotors turned and new pads, or leave the rotors as they are and just put on new pads?

#5 ·
Rotors should be mic'ed to see that they are thick enough according to spec for that rotor. If they are, and they are not badly grooved or warped you can just put pads on. If you switch pad formulations you should at least clean the surface with emery cloth and brake cleaner. What may happen initially is it may squeal for a few weeks until the pads mate to the surface of the rotor.

#8 ·
Now hold on; I had some cross drilled rotors years ago, at least from memory, I thought it was Verbotten to redrill your crossed-drill rotors? Isn't that still the
standard? I could have sworn I read in the mfg. installation instructions it
is Verbotten.

Anyway; if you have build up, why not just clean out the plugged up holes?
A low speed drill, metal drill bit, PERFECTLY fitting the holes, you can clean up
those plugged up holes.
Then put on a buffing emery pad on the drill and buff out the glazing, dirt, minor
scratches etc.

This is an easy easy fix. Basic Maintenance 101.

#9 · (Edited)
Ok Frank so he does need to re-drill the holes ? I dont think so

and second you dont just put new pads on old groved and worn rotors.

The safest thing is to buy new rotors then you have a smooth surface between the pads and rotors

That is what the pipe is for Sir

guess it just comes down to doing it right or half assed

#11 ·
first, where did you see I told him he should "re-drill" the holes? I only told him if he really care about having dust clogged in the holes he can take a screw driver or better yet as other suggested a actual drill and slowly clean them out.

second, did you not read his first post saying his dealer told him he doesn't need to have the rotors turned? (you shouldn't turn a cross drilled rotor anyway.) WHICH if at 23k miles they are warped or grooved do you think the dealer would've told him that? OR if I had not read his post would I have tell him to ONLY change the pads and not worry about others?

once again...put down the crack pipe. don't just do a half ass job on reading other people's post if you want to offer informations.

#10 ·
Simply put, you aren't really "re-drilling" the rotors. You are simply using a drill bit to clean out the existing holes. It makes perfect sense that the holes clog up with brake dust, just as much as the groove in the pad has a tendency to become packed with dust.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the replies. After reading all the suggestions I will be replacing the rotors (not turning them) and the pads at the same time. Any suggestions on what kind of pads the stealer may have that can reduce brake dust?

#15 ·
like I've said, you don't have to replace the rotor if they're not warped or grooved. the stock pads are very soft hense very dusty. you can get Porterfield or couple other ceremic pads that's available. check on tirerack.

dealer will charge you arm and leg for labor. find a local shop to do them for you.

#14 ·
There really isn't a problem with using rotors again...
Once every 2 sets of pads, though with ceramics that may not hold true.

Why do people post the same dumb questions in 10 different forums?:topic:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.