Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Battery - How long did it last?

14K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Mercedes Benz of Florida 
#1 ·
So my 2003 C240 has about 64k miles, and I was wondering how long the battery usually lasts in these cars?

Mine is original!

Lastly, what are you using to replace it? It looks different from other batteries I've seen...:confused:

#4 ·
I've had Batteries last me, EASILY, 4 years. Not surprising to have a Battery go
7 years, :eek: even here in Florida!

Folks, nowadays, severley abuse batteries, don't take care of them, refuse
basic maintenance and they S*&t one every year or two years.
Negligence is expensive yes.

#6 ·
106 thousand miles, and have the original high capacity battery. Battery still puts out a higher cold crank amperage than most new batteries... Nice thing about the OEM batteries is they are also maintenance free.

#9 · (Edited)
My car was mfg in 12/2001 and the battery around the same time I suppose.
I'm still on the original battery but I can feel it starting to fade a little.
I get it checked every few months now.

FYI- While they do use this "Midtronics" device to check the battery, the procedure from Mercedes states NOT to top up the battery, I sh_t you not!

It's on the service DVD. Hence that explains why most of us discovered that the battery was down to no water.

Now that being said, it's also been seen where people who had a battery
that never had water added, then added water, had a complete failure shortly after adding water.

I started checking it and adding water yearly about 3 years ago, which I'm sure has contributed to it's longevity.

And yes, use distilled water. In fact use distilled water for everything, radiator, winshield washer fluid...who needs all those minerals and chemicals in tap water?

You will very likely find that the dealer never cleans the terminals, or adds water.
Perhaps there's a reason for that? All the wiring for the whole damn car flows under the battery.
I recently pulled the terminals, cleaned them and dipped them in a glass of water with baking soda added. The water fizzed and turned blue! And the contacts shiney copper!
I then poured a gallon of water with a tablespoon of baking soda around the battery, and again I got some fizzing, meaning acid had gotten around the base of the battery. This was a common thing you would do on older cars...n not so sure how good it is to do on a benz.

The water eventually came out the back of the car, I mean all the way in back. Weird.

Maybe I overfilled the battery? Acid leaked around it, and maybe thats why they don't recommend messing with it? Next battery will be maint. free.

I topped off the terminals with vaseline to keep them from gunking up.

#10 ·
The water eventually came out the back of the car, I mean all the way in back. Weird.

There is a Drain Hose and it exits to the rear of the vehicle. Exactly for the reason you stated....an over flow dump!

Exactly the same thinking re: Gas Filler tube, has an over flow hose, too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.