Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2001 C240 - Guide for Fuel Filter Change D.I.Y.

103K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  Sar757 
#1 · (Edited)
You can get a Fuel filter for your c240 at any Autozone / Advance Auto <-- (10% Military Discount).

This guide should work for any C240 between 99-2005.

Tools Needed:

1 Torx Socket
1/4" Socket
10mm Socket
Box that the filter comes in.
Drip Pan
Safety Glasses
Wire Cutter Plyers
Paper & Pen - I like to make diagrams, so when people call me I don't forget how it goes together.

Parts Needed:
4 - #4 Hose Clamps
1 - Fuel Filter

Notes Before starting:

If you have a lift you can use this project will be MUCH easier. Other wise use a jack. (Block your tires)

I used a lift, When you go to remove the skid cover You cant take it off because the cover is part of the lift point.

Location of the Fuel Filter:

Just in front of the Drivers side Rear axle.

Remove your gas cap. The fuel system is a pressurized system so by removing the cap you wont have alot of fuel running everywhere.

Lift the Vehicle.

Use your 10mm socket and remove the 4 Plastic Nuts holding the left skid cover in place.

I placed my cardbox box the filter came in between the cover and the underside of the car to hold the cover down.

Use your Torx wrench and remove the single screw.

Unclamp the two upper hoses that attach to the out plastic filter holder and then lift up and it comes free.

Take wire cutter plyers and cut the left side hose clamps off. (I twisted them free and bent them back off.)

Your hoses may twist off, but mine wouldn't, SO place a flat tip screw driver between the base of the hose and the filter and pry it up till it comes free.

Once the two on the left are removed, use the same technique on the right side.

Now reinstall the hoses in reverse order.

Now apply your 4 hose clamps

Tighten with the 1/4" socket.

Reinstall the plastic filter holder and Torx Screw & Clip hoses into plastic filter holder.

Wipe up all te spilled fuel from the cover.

Reinstall the 4 Plastic 10mm Nuts for skid cover.

Remove Lift/Jacks

Reinstall Gas Cap

Start the car. (NOTE: Now that there is air in the fuel line it may take a second or two longer to start the first time. My car normally is started within a second, it took nearly 3-4 seconds to start, and considerably noticable difference. Turn off the car and start again, car should start normall)

I hope this Guide Helps!!

NeV

See less See more
#34 ·
C240 Fuel filter change interval

Thanks, jkowtko.
Sounds like good advice. In looking this up further, I found corroboration:
THE FUEL FILTER SHOULD BE REPLACED AT 60K INTERVALS.

Next time I'm in for service, I'll mention this, as I have no record of our '05 C240 at 168,000 miles having ever changed the Fuel filter.

Full post from AllMercedes.com - The Online Automotive Parts Superstore.

MERCEDES C240 203.061 CHASSIS 2001- 2005:

“A SERVICE REQUIREMENTS”

PART DESCRIPTION: PART NUMBER:

8 QUARTS MOTOR OIL Q1-09-0141
1 OIL FILTER 000-180-2209

“B SERVICE REQUIREMENTS”

8 QUARTS MOTOR OIL Q1-09-0141
1 OIL FILTER 000-180-2209
1 AIR FILTER 112-180-0604
1 WIPER INSERT (LEFT) THRU. 2003 203-820-0045
1 WIPER INSERT (RIGHT) THRU. 2003 203-820-0145
2 WIPER INSERTS FROM 2004 203-820-1545
1 WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID 089-233-2836

THE FUEL FILTER SHOULD BE
REPLACED AT 60K INTERVALS. 002-477-3001

THE B SERVICE INCLUDES A TRANSMISSION
INSPECTION IF SERVICE IS DUE SEE LIST BELOW.

8 QUARTS SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID 001-989-210310
1 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FILTER 140-277-0095
1 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION PAN GASKET 140-271-0080
1 TRANSMISSION ADAPTOR PLUG 203-540-0253
1 FILLER TUBE LOCK PIN 140-991-0055

#36 ·
OK Thanks, schumicat.
Different document.
I just searched the 2005 Maintenance Booklet 2005 Passenger Cars.pdf (which may be yet another different document), and found the 'every 60,000 miles or 5 years' references, mostly specified for AMG models, then restated to replace fuel filter at the end of the book under A and B services, under 'Additional work to be performed together with the respective service'. Go figure...
In any event, mine is overdue! All the best with yours.

#37 ·
the 30k/5 year is found in the chart with the maintenance items in rows and the mileage/years in columns, under 30k/5 year (and at those intervals afterwards) there is a bullet in the cell for "change fuel filter." This is in the w203 chart. The same book has charts for all 05 models. This is the same book where you log the maintenance done.

#39 ·
I believe you can depressurize the system through a valve located under the hood, where you have to remove your air filter box to reach it.

You can also prime the filter before install in order to avoid the rough start condition. Something I always forget to do on my oil changes, is get the filter a little wet with oil first so it doesn't have a rough start up, except in this case it would be fuel used to prime it.

#40 ·
Can anyone help me!! I have a 2002 C240.. I have never had any major problems with it but for some reason I drove 80 miles yesterday and when I got home there was nothing wrong then about 30 minutes later I went outside and it would turn over but not start then about 15 minutes later it started so I went to drive it to town and it only went about 3 miles and then died again then started about 45 minutes later but with the check engine light on.. Checked all of the fuel pump relay switches in the back they seemed hot when they put some engine starter on it it tried to start.. People are telling me it's either the fuel filter, or the CPS, or worst the fuel pump, I live out in the middle of nowhere 60 miles to the nearest town I'm a single mom and this is my only vehicle any suggestions would be very very appreciated!

#43 ·
This was the main problem...the alarm not working is fixed it was caused by putting the fuse in the wrong slot when I was checking fuel relay fuse..I have a 2002 C240.. I have never had any major problems with it but for some reason I drove 80 miles yesterday and when I got home there was nothing wrong then about 30 minutes later I went outside and it would turn over but not start then about 15 minutes later it started so I went to drive it to town and it only went about 3 miles and then died again then started about 45 minutes later but with the check engine light on.. Checked all of the fuel pump relay switches in the back they seemed hot..we disconnected the battery and the check engine light went off and car started but after driving for a little bit it died again and took about 30 min to start again.. People are telling me it's either the fuel filter, or the CPS, or worst the fuel pump, I live out in the middle of nowhere 60 miles to the nearest town I'm a single mom and this is my only vehicle any suggestions would be very very appreciated!

#45 ·
Okay so far we started it this morning after we unplugged the battery the check engine light went off and fixed the alarm after we put the fuse in the right spot we just got 3 1/2 miles the same distance as yesterday before it died and it just died again and the check engine light is back on..The fuel relay fuse in the trunk is super hot.. Now I'm sure it will do what it did yesterday and start in about 30 to 45 minutes go another 3 1/2 miles and die again I can't even make it to town to have them put it on a machine so I don't know what to go get at the auto store... a new fuel relay fuse or a fuel filter which has never been changed to my knowledge...or a crankshaft position sensor! I am losing my mind here. Please any suggestions:(

#46 ·
If the fuel relay is getting hot it could be because the fuel pump is having to work extra hard to push the fuel through a dirty and semi clogged fuel filter. That would be my first guess. The other thing I have heard with these cars stalling is usually from the CPS. (crankshaft position sensor) > apparently its a common failure on these cars. Hope you find your problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.