Suspension noise (rear) - C240 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2003
Suspension noise (rear) - C240

The car is '01 C240. I'm getting a noise from left rear side when going over bumps at slow speeds. Rear tire rod ends don't show wear. Everything appears tight so I don't know what it might be. Bushings? Anybody had similar experience?

Thanks.
mslc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslc791
The car is '01 C240. I'm getting a noise from left rear side when going over bumps at slow speeds. Rear tire rod ends don't show wear. Everything appears tight so I don't know what it might be. Bushings? Anybody had similar experience?

Thanks.
It sounds like you have a bushing problem. It is a VERY common problem on all C Classes, and I have heard of this problem on cars less than 2 years old sometimes.

My 04's front suspension has noise too. It sounds like a sqeek. I need to get my bushings replaced too.
OEM Bi-Xenon 6000K. LED Taillights. Updated Foglights 6000K. Euro Clear Bumper Lights. W211 style Mirror LEDs. 05 C230 Springs. Stainless Exhaust Tip. 05 OEM Shift Knob & Sport Grille. 2 x 12" MTX Subs. 07 Chrome SmartKey. 20% 3M Tint. Hawk Ceramic Front Brakes. Akebono Ceramic Rear Brakes.

Coming Soon: 19" Wheels, Pioneer AVIC-D3 + Amp + MB Quart Speakers.
XenonBenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

XenonBenz, I bet you might have a bad tie-rod end, I replaced mine in the front 2 years ago, they looked pretty deteriorated. My issue with this rear suspension noise is that everything looks fine, no signs of deterioration except for some rust on the sway bar.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Quote:
XenonBenz, I bet you might have a bad tie-rod end, I replaced mine in the front 2 years ago, they looked pretty deteriorated. My issue with this rear suspension noise is that everything looks fine, no signs of deterioration except for some rust on the sway bar.
Thanks for the heads up on the tie-rod. I think I will just replace the tie rod and the sway bar bushings just so I won't have to mess with it again. I think I remember reading a lot of people replacing the tie-rod.

What kind of noise exactly are you having? Squeeks, creeks, rattles?

The sway bar bushing is also a known common problem on the C-Class, so maybe you need new rear sway bar bushings? I don't think bushings show sign of deterioration. The C Class comes with pretty crappy bushings (and tie-rods) Also, have you checked your rear shocks? A worn out shock often causes noise.

There are a lot of parts on the C Class that seem to only be designed to last 50-60K miles.
XenonBenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Ive been having this problem for the past month or so, I bought this car to the dealers a million times, in and out, they only happen to replace everything in the front, but not the rear. I hear a "CLOCK CLOCK" noise (quite loud, 0 as quiet, 10 as our honk loud, this would be around a 7)

only comes from the rear drivers wheel.

Renntech:evosport:REMUS:BRABUS:Lorinser:timeattack_________________c320 coupe on benzworld
advans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

That clock clock noise is pretty similar to what I've been hearing at slow speeds. Beginning to think it might be a rear strut as I hear a rattle from the rear left side passenger side.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 99 ml320, 00 ml430, 63 220s
w 203 has 2 major probles in the rear, the lower bushing ( joint ) in the carrier, and they are cronic for broken springs, we change both of these all the time @ the dealership.

Drive it like you stole it!!!!
deloreandriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

So I finally figured out the source of that noise. It turns out (and I'm really shocked) that both rear coil springs are broken at the bottom. I've truly never seen anything like this before. I am not aware of overloading the car, plus I don't tow anything so what the heck...... Worse, I could not find original MB springs on the net, so the dealer is my last resort (@fulll or over the retail price - nice!!!). Plus I need a compressor which I found @ $300 on ebay. Megabucks.....oh well....very disappointed with this car after years of good service..
Old 08-14-2007, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2005 C230K Sport Coupe 6-speed!
Whenever I get a chance, I will put my car on the hoist and check the springs, too. I had a very annoying creaking noise coming from the RHS rear suspension. I jacked-up the rear, placed a bar under the right rear wheel, sprayed the hell out of all the bushings with lube and I could not seem to get rid of the noise. Two weeks later, though, it seemed to correct itself. I guess it took a little bit for the lube to work its way in.
Whosdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 99 ml320, 00 ml430, 63 220s
Quote:
So I finally figured out the source of that noise. It turns out (and I'm really shocked) that both rear coil springs are broken at the bottom. I've truly never seen anything like this before. I am not aware of overloading the car, plus I don't tow anything so what the heck...... Worse, I could not find original MB springs on the net, so the dealer is my last resort (@fulll or over the retail price - nice!!!). Plus I need a compressor which I found @ $300 on ebay. Megabucks.....oh well....very disappointed with this car after years of good service..

i'm glad you found it , like i said we see it al the time @ work
deloreandriven is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class