Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

C240 new owner, need oil dipstick help

17K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Buellwinkle 
#1 ·
Just purchased a 2005 C240. :D I have already learned tons from this forum, and think it is a great place to learn how to save money on some of these services. I wanted to know if any one has any info on the dipstick tube( The one that does not have a real dipstick) I am about to change the oil and want to use a vaccum pump machine.
I think the tube comes around the front of the motor and has a red cap on it. Any info would be a big help.. thanks

#2 ·
Don't know what you are asking about. If you want a dipstick, you can buy one at the dealer. It's called the service dipstick. You can also get one for the tranny fluid too. You can check oil level using the dash display and it will tell you if you are a quart low...

#4 ·
Look at where the tube is going? Is it going into the side of the block - or back toward the hourglass of the tunnel/firewall union?

I am not sure on the 240 - But I will say my 230 has a red cap on the "dipstick" tube...

Jake
(Get under it and change the oil - much more fun!)

#8 ·
Well, my oil tube is black and my tranny tube is black.

The oil tube is higher and more accessable (even without taking the airbox off).

The tranny tube is lower. It also cannot be opened by mere mortal men as it has a lock pin. What I've noticed was that it is black from factory (unmolested tranny fluid) and red if serviced (I forget the P/N for the lock pin).

The MB is a man's car. No girly colors like "red" or "yellow" to distinguish different parts and crap. You'll just have to know. :)

#10 ·
yo Dipstick...why not do a little search...thats a bit rediculous...you can check your manual, i bet that has something about it dont you think? or search the forum, there are pics here..hmm maybe under oil change DIY?

And no most c-class dont have dipsticks...sorry, correction yours does and its in the driver seat!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.