Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How to DIY oil change on your C230

505K views 135 replies 89 participants last post by  260e crusier 
#1 · (Edited)
This only applies to 2001-2005 (I-4 supercharged engines) or w203 chasis. It might be the similar for other C-class models.

Tools Needed:
1. 27 mm socket or a cresent wrench
2. Small flat head screwdriver
3. Funnel
4. 8mm socket *
5. 1/2 inch socket *
6. Lift Jack*
7. Oil collection pan*

* Optional tools, only needed if you plan to drain the oil. If you suck the oil out these tools are not needed.

Parts/Supplies Needed:
1. Oil Filter (MB Part # A 271 180 00 09). My dealer provided a new drain plug washer the filter.
2. Oil (Mobile One 0-40) C230 (I4 SC) needs 5.8-6.0 quarts.

Procedure:
1. Locate the oil filter and slightly loosen it, DO NOT remove it at this time. This will allow the oil in the filter to flow back to the oil pan. (See Photos 1 &2 below)
2. Jack up the car and remove plastic engine covers on the bottom of the car with 8mm socket.**
3. Located oil pan drain plug and remove plug with 1/2" socket (See Photo 3 below) Make sure you have the oil collection pan under drain, because the oil will come flowing out fast.**
4. As the oil is draining out, remove the oil filter from engine bay.
5. Remove oil filter cartridge (this may take a little force) and three rubber o-rings. Replace oil filter cartridge and replace the three o-rings (See Photo 4 below) Coat the new o-rings with some new oil.
6. Install drain plug with new washer and tighten to the proper torque spec (24N/m) or 1/2 turn past finger tight.
7. Install oil filter into engine bay. DO NOT over tighten! Tight to the proper torque spec (24 N/m) or if you do NOT have a torque wrench tight a 1/4 turn past hand tight.
8. Remove oil cap and input 5.25 quarts of oil using the funnel. (The reason why you should NOT add the entire 5.8 quarts is because there is still some residual oil in the engine and it's not good to over fill. You can easly add oil, pain to take it out)
9. After putting in 5.25 qts, turn ignition key to position 2 (radio and heater/AC comes on) for 10 seconds. This will allow the oil pump to start pumping the oil into the empty filter. Then start the engine and let it run for one minute and turn off car and remove key.
10. Re-Intsall plastic engine covers on the bottom of the car with 8mm socket and lower jack(s). **

** Steps not needed if user decides to suck the engine oil out using an oil extractor (topsider or etc.). To suck the oil out simpley put suction tube in oil output hole (see photos 1 below) and make sure tube goes all the way to the bottom.

Check Engine Oil: (See Details More In Drivers Manual)
1. Be Parked on level ground and have car stationary for at least 5 minutes.
2. Turn key to postion 2 (radio and heater/AC fan turn on).
3. Change to standard display (mileage) on the multifuction display (computer display under speedometer).
4. Press and hold ^ or V on steering wheel for 3 seconds until "ENGINE OIL LEVEL - MEASUREMENT IN PROGESS! CORRECT MEASUREMENT ONLY IN VEH. LEVEL" will appear. After 3 seconds "ENGINE OIL LEVEL - MEASUREMENT NOW" will display.
5. Computer will return the following message:
> ENGINE OIL LEVEL - OK
> ENGINE OIL LEVEL - ADD 1.0 QUART (1.0 LITER)!
> ENGINE OIL LEVEL - ADD 1.5 QUART (2.0 LITER)!
> ENGINE OIL LEVEL - REDUCE OIL LEVEL
> ENGINE OIL LEVEL - OK
6. Add oil if needed.
7. If you get "OBSERVE WAITING PERIOD" then remove key from dash and wait 5 min. If you get "MEASURING NOT POSSIBLE" then repeat steps above.

IF YOU CANNOT VIEW PHOTOS THEN USE THIS LINK: http://www.brianrichardson.net/c230/c230_oilchange.ppt

I recommend rotating tires after every oil change.
Good Luck & have fun!

Attachments

See less See more
#52 ·
walmart has synthetic mobil 1 oil for like 5 or 6 bucks a quart, and im sure you can go to a local jiffy or ez for a cannister filter which includes the gaskets( dosent really matter if you change those , but might as well do it if it comes with the filter) for like $8...i do my own oil change for like $45 the most....

#53 ·
Performed an oil change this weekend, twas a disaster. It took forevever to get the filter off. Had to pull real hard. The Mityvac 7201 I used to extract the oil only got out about 2 litres after about an hour. Eventually I poured back 4 quarts of oil & reset the counter for another 10000 miles. I will have to repeat the process at 5000 miles and this time I'll have the engine real hot because I don't believe I got out all the old oil.
The oil that came out was black & thick; like treacle - uggh!
It was an experience but I think my mistake was not letting it get hot enough. Otherwise it is a sound investment and should not take more than 45 mins.

#55 ·
Performed an oil change this weekend, twas a disaster. It took forevever to get the filter off. Had to pull real hard. The Mityvac 7201 I used to extract the oil only got out about 2 litres after about an hour.
It is normally a very hard pull. Those O rings grip like hell...

Eventually I poured back 4 quarts of oil & reset the counter for another 10000 miles. I will have to repeat the process at 5000 miles and this time I'll have the engine real hot because I don't believe I got out all the old oil.
The oil that came out was black & thick; like treacle - uggh!
That's why your extractor did not work - your oil is so old it is now badly polluted.

It was an experience but I think my mistake was not letting it get hot enough. Otherwise it is a sound investment and should not take more than 45 mins.
It was not the oil temperature that was your problem. Your best solution now is to drain the bad oil from the sump plug beneath the engine.

#56 ·
Maybe I'm getting old (79 next Feb) but I feel this is a good case that illustrates having a reliable MB mechanic do it for me. Seems the best way out now is to flush the engine...when it's warm, and be done with this screwing around. There are ways to save money other than possibly damaging a $????? dollar engine. Mine is a 1997 C-280 w/AMG styling, in perfect condition at 112,000 miles, and I'll be darned if I' gong to risk hurting it. Maybe is the inane Porsche lover in me, but that's my take on cars I love. ;-)

#59 · (Edited)
The oil change via extracting through the dip stick is a common practice especially in the marine area (kind of hard to get under the pan in a boat). This is the type pump you can use (and I use on my boat):

Bass Pro Shops 12V Oil Changer

I personally prefer to drain it whenever possible, because you will inevitable get more of the crud out (simple physics) and as other pointed out it gives you a chance to look underneath for any strange damage, etc...

Also on the filters, I googled and found these guys:

http://www.germanfilters.com/

Don't know anything about them, just thought I would pass it along.

Cheers!
Eric

#60 ·
Oil changes and filters

The oil change via extracting through the dip stick is a common practice especially in the marine area (kind of hard to get under the pan in a boat). This is the type pump you can use (and I use on my boat):
{SNIP}
I've used fleece filters on my morotcycle and in my cars for sometime. They can filter smaller particles and you can wash them and reuse them. They are being discussed in the forum at Is Fleece the correct oil filter for 06 320 CDI - MBWorld.org Forums

Don

#61 ·
Hi Don,

I would not reuse any filters on these engines. Just pop a new one in everytime you do an oil change. Been doing mine for years (extraction method). I do this every 5k with Mobil 1 0W-40 only. Spoke to the Mobil 1 rep, this is totally a feel good thing on my intervals :).

Ray

#63 ·
i just changed the oil in my wife's 05 saturday. previously, we had the oil changed at a non-mercedes dealer where we bought the car (it was freezing and the oil change was free). fast forward to last week, she tells me her car is telling her to add a quart. i decided to change it myself so that i would know it was done right. while i was under the car, i noticed a small oil leak that looked like it was coming from the upper rear of the engine. i didn't notice anything around the oil filter housing, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

i just re-read the first post and looked at the orientation of the oil filter o-rings. it looks like my large o ring is in the wrong spot. my large o-ring is in the next higher groove over what appears in the pics, but i can't be certain, as the pic is a bit hard to see. can someone clarify that the o-ring is indeed supposed to be in the groove closest to the threads and not above it? thanks.

#68 ·
just re-read the first post and looked at the orientation of the oil filter o-rings. it looks like my large o ring is in the wrong spot. my large o-ring is in the next higher groove over what appears in the pics, but i can't be certain, as the pic is a bit hard to see. can someone clarify that the o-ring is indeed supposed to be in the groove closest to the threads and not above it? thanks.
I guess that Greg did not spot your question or he would have replied by now.

You are quite correct about the location of the upper O ring. There is the thread, then a groove for the O ring, then a shoulder and a space above the shoulder. Remember to torque it correctly. (25Nm)

The groove is slightly clearer on another pic (#7) for a CLK oil change here:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-new-clk-class/1333531-successful-diy-oil-change.html

Tip: I often photograph my jobs during dismantling, in case I forget something on the way back!

#64 ·
hi to everyone, i'm new to the forums, i have an 05' c230 and i recently hit the 76000 miles mark, no problems so far, just a broken door handle wich i hear happens a lot, anyway, my question is, do you guys recommend othe oil besides the Mobil1 0w20, i been using it since i got the car, but recently i took a trip from New Jersey to Florida around 3000 miles back and forth and the car consumed around 1qt of oil. Is this normal at 76000mi? will a thicker oil help? thanks for all your help.

#65 ·
0w20? I'm almost certain your engine requires Mobil-1 0w40...

#67 ·
I'm guessing too that using 0w20 would explain the excess oil consumption?

#76 ·
quick question about traditional drip method

If the car is raised up on rhino ramps, will all the old oil drip out or will some stay in the pan because the car is tilted at an angle? my dh says the car is supposed to be level to properly drain the oil. is this true? plan to do the 13K oil change this weekend.

#79 ·
GOOD info guys. I have a C230 kom sport and I been taking my car to a dealer for service A and B is that all they do change oil and filter reset and check other parts of the car? I been doing work in VW's since I was 19 but was not about changing my oil in my Benz but now I am going to do it my self.

Looking foward doing it!
Thanks for all the good information :)

#81 ·
Hi Guys,

My warranty ran out recently and i serviced my car myself. I am an engineer and have worked on cars for years so i have a bit of experience in building engines etc.

Here is the problem:
I unscrewed the oil filter cartridge housing and removed the filter, what was strange to me, was the fact that i didnt find a place for the o-rings in the packet. After drying the rest of the oil in the housing, i saw that the bit with two smaller o-rinds is still stuck at the bottom. I also noticed that whoever has worked on the car at MB during its maintenance plan has broken one of the legs of that part trying to get it out. It appears that the end bit with small rings clips into the rest of filter "shaft".

So my question is: Has anyone come across this problem? Could someone post some pics with the end bit removed so i can see its geometry to come up with the best way to pull it out without breaking anymore legs.

Thanks in advance:)

#83 ·
I also noticed that whoever has worked on the car at MB during its maintenance plan has broken one of the legs of that part trying to get it out. It appears that the end bit with small rings clips into the rest of filter "shaft".

So my question is: Has anyone come across this problem? Could someone post some pics with the end bit removed so i can see its geometry to come up with the best way to pull it out without breaking anymore legs.

Thanks in advance:)
Does this pic help you?

Attachments

#82 ·
Newbie here. Fantastic post, thank you.

New question:

How do I change the oil on a MB 2002 year model C220 CDI?

Can I suck the oil out with an extractor through the oil input as I do not see or know of a dipstick hole on this diesel engine?

Lastly, what oil do I use?

Thanks for a great forum and the willingness to help!

#86 ·
Great thread!!! My sister-in-law takes her car to Sears and they said they could service mine. Not so true. I asked them if they could reset light and they had no clue and actually wanted me to print out your instructions and bring them to them. Needless to say my brother is changing my oil. Thanks for great info!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.