Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How to DIY oil change on your C230

505K views 135 replies 89 participants last post by  260e crusier 
#1 · (Edited)
This only applies to 2001-2005 (I-4 supercharged engines) or w203 chasis. It might be the similar for other C-class models.

Tools Needed:
1. 27 mm socket or a cresent wrench
2. Small flat head screwdriver
3. Funnel
4. 8mm socket *
5. 1/2 inch socket *
6. Lift Jack*
7. Oil collection pan*

* Optional tools, only needed if you plan to drain the oil. If you suck the oil out these tools are not needed.

Parts/Supplies Needed:
1. Oil Filter (MB Part # A 271 180 00 09). My dealer provided a new drain plug washer the filter.
2. Oil (Mobile One 0-40) C230 (I4 SC) needs 5.8-6.0 quarts.

Procedure:
1. Locate the oil filter and slightly loosen it, DO NOT remove it at this time. This will allow the oil in the filter to flow back to the oil pan. (See Photos 1 &2 below)
2. Jack up the car and remove plastic engine covers on the bottom of the car with 8mm socket.**
3. Located oil pan drain plug and remove plug with 1/2" socket (See Photo 3 below) Make sure you have the oil collection pan under drain, because the oil will come flowing out fast.**
4. As the oil is draining out, remove the oil filter from engine bay.
5. Remove oil filter cartridge (this may take a little force) and three rubber o-rings. Replace oil filter cartridge and replace the three o-rings (See Photo 4 below) Coat the new o-rings with some new oil.
6. Install drain plug with new washer and tighten to the proper torque spec (24N/m) or 1/2 turn past finger tight.
7. Install oil filter into engine bay. DO NOT over tighten! Tight to the proper torque spec (24 N/m) or if you do NOT have a torque wrench tight a 1/4 turn past hand tight.
8. Remove oil cap and input 5.25 quarts of oil using the funnel. (The reason why you should NOT add the entire 5.8 quarts is because there is still some residual oil in the engine and it's not good to over fill. You can easly add oil, pain to take it out)
9. After putting in 5.25 qts, turn ignition key to position 2 (radio and heater/AC comes on) for 10 seconds. This will allow the oil pump to start pumping the oil into the empty filter. Then start the engine and let it run for one minute and turn off car and remove key.
10. Re-Intsall plastic engine covers on the bottom of the car with 8mm socket and lower jack(s). **

** Steps not needed if user decides to suck the engine oil out using an oil extractor (topsider or etc.). To suck the oil out simpley put suction tube in oil output hole (see photos 1 below) and make sure tube goes all the way to the bottom.

Check Engine Oil: (See Details More In Drivers Manual)
1. Be Parked on level ground and have car stationary for at least 5 minutes.
2. Turn key to postion 2 (radio and heater/AC fan turn on).
3. Change to standard display (mileage) on the multifuction display (computer display under speedometer).
4. Press and hold ^ or V on steering wheel for 3 seconds until "ENGINE OIL LEVEL - MEASUREMENT IN PROGESS! CORRECT MEASUREMENT ONLY IN VEH. LEVEL" will appear. After 3 seconds "ENGINE OIL LEVEL - MEASUREMENT NOW" will display.
5. Computer will return the following message:
> ENGINE OIL LEVEL - OK
> ENGINE OIL LEVEL - ADD 1.0 QUART (1.0 LITER)!
> ENGINE OIL LEVEL - ADD 1.5 QUART (2.0 LITER)!
> ENGINE OIL LEVEL - REDUCE OIL LEVEL
> ENGINE OIL LEVEL - OK
6. Add oil if needed.
7. If you get "OBSERVE WAITING PERIOD" then remove key from dash and wait 5 min. If you get "MEASURING NOT POSSIBLE" then repeat steps above.

IF YOU CANNOT VIEW PHOTOS THEN USE THIS LINK: http://www.brianrichardson.net/c230/c230_oilchange.ppt

I recommend rotating tires after every oil change.
Good Luck & have fun!

Attachments

See less See more
#100 ·
Have you considered sucking the oil out of the dip stick tube like the dealer's do it. Seems less messy and quicker. This is what some of the guys use on the SLK forum - Pela 650 Oil Extractor at
I almost bought the Pela, but did not like the capacity (since the car is 7 to 8 quarts).

Then I was browsing the Northen Tools catalog, and found this 8-quart model (for less than the Pela):

LiquiVac Oil Extractor — 2 Gallon | Oil Extractors | Northern Tool + Equipment

Only down side is it's not as easy to see the oil level in the extractor, but empty is empty, right?

#3 ·
My locale dealer, Palm Beach Mercedes Benz (One of the largest MB dealers) still drains the oil out the bottom. I spoke to the mechanics

#8 ·
Buellwinkle said:
Have you considered sucking the oil out of the dip stick tube like the dealer's do it. Seems less messy and quicker. This is what some of the guys use on the SLK forum - Pela 650 Oil Extractor at
no one at our dealer does it that way. We all drain the oil from the bottom. IMO, you get more out that way. it also gives the GOOD techs a chance to examine the underbody for damage and check suspension components and what not.

#9 ·
I would agree it's the best. You can use any 13 mm crush washer (aluminum or copper), which I got at a local auto parts store.

Plus, you can flush your system of the old oil by dumping two or three quarts with the bottom lug still off. Can't do that through suction. However, I had the wonderful problem of putting too much oil in. The manual said 8.4 quarts. Was more like six. But that's for the C320.

#13 ·
finally THANK YOU... not everyone can afford a 200 dollar top-side extractor....
also note that not all C-class' filter and drain plug locations are the same.... for the base model V6 the oil filter is a cap located on the top of the block, and the drain plug faces another direction... there are also a mother-load of torx screws which hold up plastic bellypans/pieces which need to be removed for first access to the oil pan....

#14 ·
cornman said:
I would agree it's the best. You can use any 13 mm crush washer (aluminum or copper), which I got at a local auto parts store.

Plus, you can flush your system of the old oil by dumping two or three quarts with the bottom lug still off. Can't do that through suction. However, I had the wonderful problem of putting too much oil in. The manual said 8.4 quarts. Was more like six. But that's for the C320.
Preparing for my first benz C240 oil change. My STAR service manual DVD specifies putting a special measuring rod part 120 589 07 21 00 into the dip stick guide tube after the the oil change. If the FSS already can sense the oil level, does anyone has any idea why do the original designers specify this extra step. That dip stick measuring rod is not easily available on line.

I like to minimize other's experience of overfilling. Is it because not using the top suction method actually leaves more oil in the engine?

#15 · (Edited)
Brian....good summary. But....my 2004 C230 has what appears to be a one piece plastic cover that just about runs the entire length of the car. Haven't looked all that close...that could be an incorrect assessment.....but if true...the jackpoints for a floorjack appear to be interfering with removal. Any comments?

#19 ·
Hey everyone, this is my first post in the forum. I've read some helpful tips so far. My girlfriend just bought a '05 C230komp sport, and it's time for her oil change. She's insisting that the dealership she works at to do the work and charging her $75-80. I'm joining this forum for her part since I'm more of a DIYer, and i've been changing fluids on my FX45 since i drove it off the lot. Forums like these are great, i still don't know why lots of people who love their cars don't look into them for useful information.

As for the oil change, great write-up SPOONS.:thumbsup:
what's the prices on the o-ring set, and the filter (from dealer or not).
and is it necessary to replace the o-rings at every oil change?

#20 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunatly the last dealership (mercedes) that did my 60,000 oil change put to much oil in, thus the warning goes off on my display to reduce oil level. All I need to know is where to suck out about a half quart. You mention the oil hole but wear is it exactly in my 230 kompressor? Thanks for your input.

#21 ·
#22 ·
Robert Ortega said:
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunatly the last dealership (mercedes) that did my 60,000 oil change put to much oil in, thus the warning goes off on my display to reduce oil level. All I need to know is where to suck out about a half quart. You mention the oil hole but wear is it exactly in my 230 kompressor? Thanks for your input.
If you have an oil extractor pump (not a syphon pump--I tried it and it sucks, er, doesn't suck actually), go to the dip stick tube, which has a cap and no dip stick in it. On my C320, it's in the back toward the firewall (must remove airbox first). Or if you go to the first page of this thread, there are actual pictures.

Bonne chance!

#26 ·
kevin

i don't know where you located at, but here in So Cal you can take used oil to any parts store and Jiffy Lube for recycling no question ask as long as their tank isn't full.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.