Part # A 210 440 50 05 64
Allen wrench (unsure of size used)
Small flat head screwdriver
Razor knife

Installation Time:
30 minutes

Difficulty:
Easy

This is a great alternative to the IPOD Integration kit available from Mercedes for $300+. Although this does not allow you to control your Ipod with the steering wheel controls, it does give you more options! The Aux. Input will allow you to connect any audio device with a 2.5 mm jack, so if you use another brand of MP3 player, you’re all set. This as also MUCH cheaper than the integration kit, I picked this part of from Mercedes-Benz of Orlando for $47 + tax. The dealer told me that this part will also work with several other models.

This is in NO WAY instructions from Mercedes Benz, The steps listed here are what worked for me, if you decide to try it, and mess something up, it’s not my fault!

All Steps are done on the passenger side of the car.

Step 1:
Remove the side trim from glove box. This trim snaps off.

Step 2:
Remove lower door trim, this trim snaps off, once the front 3 snaps have been removed, it is not necessary to remove any more. You don’t need to completely remove the trim!

Step 3:
Using the small flat head screwdriver, remove the bolt covering from the side trim. Then remove the bolt using the Allen wrench.

After removing the bolt, the trim is healed by snaps, it was a little tough to get off.

Step 4:
Once all the trim has been removed, you will see a track that contains all of the wires, this track snaps together at the top; simply unsnap it to expose all of the wires.

Step 5:
Near the front of the track (towards the front of the car) you will see the white harness plug. Just plug in your new part!

Step 6:
Once this is done redirect your attention to the side of the glove box, you will see a small round black plug that needs to be removed. Using your razor knife carefully cut it out of place. This is where you will position the jack for you new part.

Step 7:
Once you have plugged the jack into the hole, simply hide the rest of the wire in the track near the floor. Reassemble (in the reverse order that you unassembled) and you’re done!

Hold down the CDC button to activate Aux. input.

Hope this is helpful!!

Ray

See less See more
#2 ·
Great work, and thanks for taking the time to post pictures. I'm still debating whether to install the iPod integration or just the AUX cable, but if I do the latter, your post will be very handy!

#3 ·
So there is no need to get to the back of the radio head unit? I bought that cable a year ago or so - but never used it because I thought I would have to tear out the center console...
this looks pretty easy if that white input plug is there...
makes you wonder why they won't just put that cable in at the factory...a Cobalt has is...so does a Millan...
Jake

#12 ·
All seems very complex to me why not just use an FM sender unit
Just plug it into the cigar lighter socket, plug the other cable into the earphone socket on any audio device. Then tune in to an unused radio channel & Voila.
No messing about with wiring. Will cost you about £ 5 on Ebay

#14 · (Edited)
painkiller said:
I used an FM modulator to start with, but the sound quality was pretty bad. I installed another one of these for someone else and it only took 15 min the 2nd time around. plus it sounds great.
Must be the unit you used mine sounds fine (and it was only a cheepie)

I think the secret in setting these up is getting the ideal output level using the volume control on the MP3 (or whatever device you are using) It takes a bit of experimentation to get the optimum level. Too low & you get the hiss from the radio, Too high & you get distortion. C'st la vie

#15 ·
Ive got a UK W203 C180 (Year:2004) FaceLift, Ive read alot about the Command System and being able to view DVDs and Using the AUX Input and am confussed with all of the posts.

Can someone tell me if I am able to use DVDs in my Command System (it currently will not allow me to in the DVD slot which the Nav Disc is currently in).

Thanks a million.

Regards

#20 ·
Indiaaa

Hey Painkiller,
Did your '05 230 come with the female input in the glovebox, or was that also part of your install, part of the kit? You did not specify that in your instructions. I'm not sure if my C230, (same year but very early model) will have that white plug in within that side panel. It's seems that I remember reading something about the earlier '05 models not having ipod inputs. Although when I pressed the CDC buttom and held it in I did see,"AUX INPUT ACTIVE" on the screen. I ordered my car in June of '04 and it came in to Phoenix 07, Sept. '04. Thanks, Indiaaa.

#21 ·
This will only work on '05 and higher cars with the MOST. I think some '04's as well. Anything older and you are better off swapping out head units of using a cassette adapter. I have this on my '05 with the H/K and it sounds great. easy install, did it in about 20mins, following a DIY in the mbworld.org I too used 3 FM modulators, from a cheapie to an expensive MOnster cable one, both sould like shit if u ask me, VERY crappy sound if you ask me. and i didnt have the $$$ to pay the dealer $700+ for the ipod integration kit+labor. so this was a nice comprimise, for $40 its not bad. i even added a Scoche RF wireless remote, and i just hide my ipod in my center consle, and control tracks, volume, pause/on/off with the remote attached to my door handrest. i dont have pics with me here since im at work, but you can check it out at mbworld.org and look for the thread about AUX input.

#24 ·
First let thank painkiller for posting an excellent guide. Anyway, when I went to order an AUX cable for the Audio APS50 on my 2005 W203 C220, the seller told me that it was not possible to install a AUX cable for the Audio APS50 (Aux was only allowed on the APS20 systems????), so I then told him that my car was equipped with the white adapter as shown in the guide and further told that there was indeed a AUX button on the radio itself. At this point he called some technician at Mercedes which only confirmed what I was told earlier: AUX not possible with the APS50, however possible with the APS20 radio. OK, I went home made a makeshift cable to see if this was true or not, and after installing this makeshift cable thru the adapter, connecting it to an mp3 player, and selecting the AUX button on the radio to my amazement it worked (heard music playing). My question now is; could there be some kind of bug which may harm my radio and/or AUX device if I were to install this AUX cable using the original Mercedes cable? Why else would Mercedes state that it is not possible to install an AUX for the APS50? Also, I ordered the original Aux Cable from Mercedes (costs 20 euros) hoping that it works, so I was wondering why this one cost more? Something about rental cars not having the right cable???? Many Thanks in advance.

h**p://cgi.ebay.de/Umruestadapter-C-Klasse-W203-Audio-20-APS-50-Comand-APS_W0QQitemZ150079116814QQihZ005QQcategoryZ38766Q QtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

#26 ·
I made the cable using a regular RCA cable see attached picture:

Wire Cable Technology Electronic device Electronics accessory

Please keep in mind that this is only a temporary solution (made it quickly to see if I could get it to work) as I will use the original cable from Mercedes.

The colors are as follow: On the adapter there are 2 Black cable which are the negative leads for Right and Left input, and the other two colors are used for the positive leads for right and left input. On the RCA cable, when spliced, the outer cable is negative and the inner cable is positve, so in other words match the black cable found on the adapter with the outer cable of the RCA cable, and the other color with the inner cable. When finished insert the cable from the back side to make good contact with the adapter. Very simple.

An update on my question: It seems that there are 2 types of APS50: NGT1 (used in E-Class, CLS and SLK) and the APS50 NGT2 (used in C-class, A-class, ...)
The NGT2 devices do have an AUX, the NGT1 not according to another forum, so perhaps the person at mercedes who told me that the APS50 did not have AUX functions did not know this little fact (should have though).