Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How good is the 4-Matic AWD?

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Musikmann 
#1 ·
I just upgrade my 1998 C230 to a 2005 C240 4-Matic AWD. The C230 was horrible in wet and snowy conditions. I'm looking forward to driving a AWD car.
How do 4-Matic owners rate Mercedes 4-Matics?

#2 ·
Awesome!! If the tires a little wide, then theres just a little slippage during acceleration....at least with my experience.

#6 ·
just don't be 1 of those idiots that think they're invincible when the snow hits. I really dig the 4-matic feature. It's harder to tool around in the snow as I like to do since i have this nice big culdasac to do donuts in whenever it snows...
but yeah, those SUV drivers KILL me when they fly down the highway at 90 when it's snow...the snow won't really hurt ya with a 4-matic car...that ice will.

#7 ·
I have been driving my 4matic for over a year now and I love it. Just be careful taking those turns especially when there are leaves on the road. If and when the car slides or looses traction it will take about 1-2 seconds before you will feel the system try to compensate for it. It is great. Just do not be over confident. It has saved me a few times in slippery exit ramps and leaves filled wet roads.
Have fun!

#9 ·
Sorry to bump an old thread, but it should be stated that:

- AWD with All-seasons < RWD/FWD with snow tires
- AWD with snows own all

You can have as many wheels as you want all independently driven, but they'll be useless on snow and ice if the tires have turned to plastic on you.

#10 ·
I don't have one, and have never driven one, BUT I started a thread asking for people's opinion when I was considering buying one. I think without exception, everyone who owns one loves theirs.

However, a technician as my dealer advises against them (we have so little snow here, they really are not needed for winter traction anyway). His point was that the transmissions run hotter so they constantly endure more stress.

I have also read that some of the front-end parts are more expensive, and go out more ofter than on their RWD counterparts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.