Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Manual Transmission - Thoughts?

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  hairscrambled 
#1 ·
While I appreciate that Mercedes makes the best automatics in the world, does anyone have a manual transmission?

In particular, I am interested in hearing from c230K sport sedan owners. My current vehicle is a BMW 540/6, and I previously owned a pair of E36 M3s. I realize the power won't be there, but is the transmission gratifying at all? Or would it be best to just get the automatic?

I searched and didn't come up with anything.

#2 ·
No it wont be the same amount of power at all...but you seem like a car guy - so you have to go with the manual...it is a little poppy out of first gear, and it is a short gear - you will be into second pretty fast...on a cold morning it is a little sticky and mechanical - it will warm up (I have read to take a little fluid out - or go to full synthetic) I have really no problems with it - just let it warm up a bit...Being a Mercedes I like "less electronics" - the manual to me provides just that...if you get in a snow situation or traction situation - having the control of the vehicle seems ideal - if you are looking at a boosted car - being able to hold and raise the boost at your need seems desirable...all in all I do not think it is the worlds best transmission - but it is a manual in a Mercedes - and they need more of them...

Jake

#3 ·
Jake - thanks for the response. I am scheduled to test drive one this weekend.

In regards to your transmission sticking and taking time to warm up, I would recommend Royal Purple instead of the stock fluid. Since your car is still under warranty, I would discuss it first with your service manager.

My brother has a C55 and I previously owned a c280 sport. What you said about getting traction in bad weather surprises me, because I experienced the exact opposite with the automatic trans-equipped cars. I can drive my 540 straight through winter with snows on it, and it would be nice to do the same with the Mercedes. Sounds like with the manual trans c230K with snows that might be possible too. 4matic wouldn't be an option for me, not to mention it isn't an option on the kompressor.

#4 ·
I considered a 6 speed auto, but after driving both of them, I really appreciated the 6 speed manual box, and take it from me, I'm an automatic kind of guy!

Even my wife loved it and she drives nothing but auto in her cars!

The auto doesn't transmit the feeling of the motor to the rear wheel like the manual does. It is smmoth, but almost feels like your driving a wet flap of ear-lobe, where the throttle changes make a difference in speed but not a lot of power, kinda like a VRG transmission.

Everything is just as new as it was the day it rolled off the showroom, and I've never had any problems requiring ANY delaer service at all - transmission OR anything else on the car!

However, with that said, on the S-500 we have, it is nice with the auto, but of course it is strapped to a monster V8... The smaller merc engines are far more "fun" to drive and give you a real "driver's car" feeling. This is of course why you'd buy a Sport Kompressor C-Class or any of the C class AMG's that are out there.

#5 · (Edited)
My tranny gives me no trouble - It is just a little mechanical when cold...no different than any T5, Rock Crusher, Tremec or other OEM / aftermarket tranny I have shifted (It is not as sensitive to weather as the Corrado - that thing does not like cold - and not has hard as a Viper)...just letting you know - when cold it has a "feel" to it...some people are very particular…

The M-Bs have low traction second gear start and such I believe - I just like having control over the car...It may very well be a perfect situation in an automatic...Also a car badged as a Sport Sedan should have a stick – and cars that come from Deutschland should be manual shifts…with NO cup holds…especially bad ones that counter basic human ergonomics like in the manual equipped w203…an original after thought to appease the marketing needs of the drive through American market…

With Cooper Weathermasters I have had no problems in any snow situation...

Clutch feel and pedal pressure are very luxury car with the hydraulic throw out bearing - and easy to operate...

Good Luck!
Jake

#6 ·
i have a 6 speed manual c230 sport sedan. I have driven the automatic c230 many times with the loaners i get from the dealership and i'm happy that i have a manual. I think automatics are not as responsive. You can say i hate the automatics...Also, i get better gas mileage too. The Automatic, even in sport mode takes a long time to pick up..GET THE MANUAL.

#9 ·
I have the C320 6-Speed, it's excellent. Before that I had a 330i ZHP, excellent. What I wanted to point out is with both of these cars I received a loaner; for the ZHP I got the 06 BMW 330i and the Auto-Shift sucks! (Sorry for those who have it). Unfortunetely, what they've done (including Mercedes) is made it so 'idiot proof' that sometimes when you want to downshift, the car won't let you. Of course when it does it's more smoother and quicker, but I prefer manual shifting much better; dunno, it actually makes me seem like I'm driving.

Trouble is Mercedes doesn't offer manuals on any other class. Therefore, my next car might have to be a BMW again... (545i/550); if only they had the E550/E63 in stick - whew! But then again, if only I could afford it!

Tee_Tz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.