Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

c320 rich bank 1 and bank 2

7K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DrFoster 
#1 ·
i have a 2001 c320 and the check engine light is on but no real driveing concerns are preasent no miss fires or idle problems my scaner tells me i have a rich bank 1 and 2
i have been told this may be a mass air flow sensor concern

anyone else have this?
thanks
andrew

#3 ·
Wow, you guys would run the higher risk of carbon buildup on your engine, possibly damage the cat and O2 sensors, get poorer fuel milage and performance just to save a few pennies? Just go to your favorite auto supply store and ask for CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner, costs about $6 for a lifetime supply huge spray can (I get mine from Pep Boys). Then go home, find the MAF sensor, remove it, spray the heck out of the little gold wire and put it back in. Just takes very basic hand tools, takes 15 minutes end to end to do. It's in a different spot for different motors but it's somewhere in the intake plumbing between the air filter and the throttle body. The MB ones I've toyed with are about 6" long, 2" diameter and have a wire connector in the middle. Then you have to remove the actual sensor from the MAF which usually has 2 security torx screws (screw has a pin in the center so a regular torx screwdriver won't work but a small hardware store will have them).

#5 · (Edited)
alan, you can find it in between the air filter and the throttle body as Buellwinkle said.
or you can start from form the air filter follow the black tube and you will see the black round plastic thingy screen on both ends with connector on the side, unsnap the clip or screws whatever holding it , then spray the CRC MAF cleaner. hope this help.

#6 ·
Most of the common "CEL's" (check engine lights) are from foul sensors in the emission system, or a bad gas cap LOL!

After checking that out, the rich bank codes may indicate a MAF sensor which may need a good leaning with 98% Rubbing Alcohol, a soft brush and microfiber cloth, as well as a dirty intake system that is drawing too much oily smoke from the crankcase into the top end of your motor. It would be worth it in the end to make an "atmospheric" vent to the PCV on either a catch can (for boosted engines) or some sort of filter element for NA motors.

The MAF should be replaced if you can't get the code to go away with 3-4 days of driving after the cleaning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.