Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

05' C230 Sport Sedan???

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  1stBenzo 
#1 ·
OK, another question about buying. I am looking really hard at these. I like the gas mileage numbers and the safety ratings. I've test driven them and I like what I've experienced. However, you can't really tell a lot from a test drive.

I would really appreciate hearing from experienced users as to what you think. Would you recommend the 2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan to your friends and why?

I would be using it for my 140 mile round trip drive for work, 98% of the time.

Thanks

Gary

#2 ·
I've driven 2004.5 and 2005 C230 Sport Sedans back to back and the handling is about the same but the 2005 rides much harsher and that maybe what you want. 2004 was the last year of free maintenance so a low mileage example maybe good. The 2005 has the newer style instrument cluster and bumper covers, the 2004.5 has the 4 piston AMG brakes. They are comfortable cars for their size but with that large of a commute it may pay to look at a slightly older E320 as it will be quieter and more comfortable. I've driven mine as far as 1,000 rountrip overnight and it's fine but not great. On the otherhand, the C230 is far more nimble and fun to drive than the E320. Gas mileage on LA commute type traffic is about 25 mpg. On long high speed driving trips I get 28 mpg. On trips where I keep to the speed limit I can get as high as 33-34 mpg.

#3 ·
I have a 2005 C230 ss in a six speed manual..I love the car...mainly cause of the great gas mileage that i get...freeway i can get 35.9 mpg....not the fastest, but enough power and very comfortable ride..its a treat to drive.. i also own an 2003 M3 and the C230 ss is much more comfortable.

#4 ·
Hey Gary...

Your not loosing your w123 are you??!?!!?!

140 miles...woo - makes my 22 miles look real lame!

How much highway - I too on the highway while cruising can ger 35mpg with the w203 - I also agree it will not be as comfortable as a touring car...

Give us a little more info...

I love my w203 - and my w123!
Jake

#5 ·
Just to give you an idea:

My uncle bought a 2000 Komressor new. He owns 9 resturants in the midwest. He drives all of the time. His car just rolled 179k miles. He has done regular oil changes. Tranny flush every 50k. Radiator flush every 50k and the car is perfect. He has not had one issue.

#6 ·
BF_JC230 said:
Hey Gary...

Your not loosing your w123 are you??!?!!?!
No, it's in top shape.

BF_JC230 said:
How much highway ...
90% 70MPH +/-, I do run into a bit of traffic, but very little. So it's like 63 miles @ speed and 7 in traffic.

BF_JC230 said:
Give us a little more info...
The newer cars are Safer, Airbags, ABS.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF_JC230Hey Gary...Your not loosing your w123 are you??!?!!?!

No, it's in top shape.

- GREAT! Don’t loose the classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF_JC230How much highway ...

90% 70MPH +/-, I do run into a bit of traffic, but very little. So it's like 63 miles @ speed and 7 in traffic.

- You will be fine! I love how the same my w203 is to my w123 – Some may think I am sounding crazy…but if you close your eyes when you are inside – you can move about the cockpit and everything is familiar! The only difference is that the HVAC is now below the radio…on the outside the exterior dimensions are very much the same and you will be comfortable! A few differences – you will not be able to see too much of your hood in the w203 – as the windshield is open to a HUGE panoramic view! Backing up however will be very different as the forward wedge shape of the W203 and higher beltline do not allow for such a grand upper green house that the w123 will give you…Your MPG will be wonderful, the drive will be Mercedes-Benz…you will notice that when comparing to your w123 that the modern competitive world has made Daimler-Chrysler skimp on a few things here and there making your w203 feel “cheaper” than your w123…well at least to me – You will love the drive, the brakes, and the ride…routine R&R will be a little hard as M-B does not share to much info…but if you dig you will see that even the brakes are very much the same on both cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF_JC230Give us a little more info...

The newer cars are Safer, Airbags, ABS.

- No doubt! A lower insurance premium will prove this! When I sold my 1994 Red Mustang and moved into the 2005 Black C 230 (as my primary vehicles – all the while keeping the w123) my rates dropped!

#8 ·
I bought my 05 C230K about 2 months ago, and love it. I have has some minor problems here and there, but all under warranty. I owned a V8 Toyota Tundra Limited before my Benz, so driving it is a pleasure. I have not taken any long trips, but don’t think Id have a problem with comfort on one. I would recommend the W203 to anyone! Plus the girls like it!! ;-)

#9 ·
Yes, sounds good to me. KBB say's the retail price is around $29,000 w/ 15,000miles +/-. I've found a couple @ $27,000 +/-, asking price. Does that sound about right?

Gary

#11 ·
i have owned my 2005 SS since 12/05. almost a year. great car!@!! fun to drive. i came from a 'fast and furios' 1996 honda accord, and this car surpasses it in every aspect. except handling, lol, my honda corners like its on rails. then again the benz is stock. no major issues. just little things here and there, all under warranty. the premiun sound is not bad at all, nice highs and lows. i got mine for $26k.

#12 · (Edited)
Hi guys, noob here. Nice forum,I just found it. I do have some questions maybe some of you could help me with.I'm currently looking for more power from my Kompressor,It is my understanding MB isn't big on aftermarket high-performance parts,so I ask you guys what if any is the best company for getting some engine upgrades.I'm basically thinking ECU chip and exhaust maybe a supercharger pulley.Btw I'm in the Los Angeles area.Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phin

#13 ·
Phin said:
Hi guys, noob here. Nice forum,I just found it. I do have some questions maybe some of you could help me with.I'm currently looking for more power from my Kompressor,It is my understanding MB isn't big on aftermarket high-performance parts,so I ask you guys what if any is the best company for getting some engine upgrades.I'm thinking basically thinking ECU chip and exhaust maybe a supercharger pulley.Btw I'm in the Los Angeles area.Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phin
Bump...:D

#14 ·
Phin said:
Hi guys, noob here. Nice forum,I just found it. I do have some questions maybe some of you could help me with.I'm currently looking for more power from my Kompressor,It is my understanding MB isn't big on aftermarket high-performance parts,so I ask you guys what if any is the best company for getting some engine upgrades.I'm basically thinking ECU chip and exhaust maybe a supercharger pulley.Btw I'm in the Los Angeles area.Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phin

Wow! over 80,000 members and no help to be found.:crybaby2:
Good luck on all your projects gentlemen(and Ladies).

thanks anyway,
Phin

#15 ·
No offense Phin but I think it is because this has been discussed in a lot of threads before. I don't have a clue on the answer as I am mechanically declined. I recommend just searching the forum for any of the things you are looking for and you are sure to come up with lots of good info. Hope this helps!

1stBenzo!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.