Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Replacing front turn signal lamps

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Canadian_Yeti 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum and have a question regarding replacing the front turn signal lamps. Forgive me if this has been answered, I searched the forum back a few months and did not see this addressed.

One of the front turn signal bulbs went out. I removed the plastic assembly that holds the bulb, looked at the bulb, and it looked OK, filament still in tact, no sign of flame out. Just to check, I removed the other working bulb module, put it in place of the bad one, and now, BOTH lights don't work. And of course one has to look at this warning notice on the dash everytime you use try and use a turn signal. So, I went out and bought two new bulbs, put them in, and they both still don't work. So, evidently its not bad bulbs.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is this a bad module that controls this? What can I expect to pay for this fix.

Thanks for any advise!

#2 ·
I think that I have read that the earlier w203 had a bad wire harness - and needed to be replaced...I hope you get a better answer than mine...
Jake...

I had a "Faulty" license plate bulb - that was never out...I replaced them with new ones - and the MFD shown no warning after replacement...huh...

PS - Place your car and year etc under your screen name...it helps a ton!

#3 ·
BF_JC230 said:
I think that I have read that the earlier w203 had a bad wire harness - and needed to be replaced...I hope you get a better answer than mine...
Jake...

I had a "Faulty" license plate bulb - that was never out...I replaced them with new ones - and the MFD shown no warning after replacement...huh...

PS - Place your car and year etc under your screen name...it helps a ton!
i also have the bulb out warning in my license plate light, but the bulb is working. so i just put in new bulbs?

#6 ·
For what it's worth, I had a similar problem shortly after i bought my car,
What i did, was swap out the left side assembly with the right side assembly.
Made sure all contacts were clean and tight. Put the same bulbs back in, and all has been fine since. T.

#7 ·
C230 turn signals

Hi Tom, thanks for the response. I did the same thing. Swapped out the working side and put it into the non working side and after that, BOTH sides stopped working.

I guess I have to take it into the dealer. This should be an easy owner fix. I have no problem getting my hands dirty. The lamp holder module contains the contacts that evidently connect to the power via the sides of where the lamp holder screws into the rear of the main front headlamps assembly. Is that clear? Maybe not.... In any case, somethiing I did stopped the two of them from working. Not very user friendly.

#8 ·
Sorry Peter, that it did not fix the problem for you,
Some times it's just a lousy connection somewhere, and it is to bad
that the vehicle needs to go to the dealer for such minor problems.
Please let me know what the dealers diagnostics was, for the next time this happens to one of us, Thanks, T.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.