Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

C 240 Just wont Start

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  rudeney 
#1 ·
Has anyone had there car just not start for no apparent reason. The battery is fine but I can't get it to start. It is very frustrating. :confused: :confused: :confused: Any advise?

#6 ·
Pyrotech said:
I have same problem, but had crank shaft position sensor replaced about 3 weeks ago and just now i go outside and the car wont even turn over, nothing. Any ideas, low battery you guys think? Battery is only 6 months old and also so is alternator.
well when you say it doesnt turn over, does nothing happen, no lights, anything?

or does everything come on yet it wont crank?

#7 ·
I had the very same experience yesterday, I got into my car turned the key and nothing. All the lights came on but the car did nothing. A very similar situation like trying to start the car without the clutch depressed.

I closed the door and retried and then it started

Is this a start of something that will build into major trouble? So far is only happened once

Could be a host of things: Smart Key, ignition switch, clutch postion switch, starter relay

#10 ·
I have changed the fuse # 52 from a 15 amp to a 20 amp but still no change.
Next will change the Starter Relay.

But have noticed something. when I put the key in if I hear a ONE click the car will start, but if I put the key in and hear a series of clicks the car wont start.

Is this a sing or helpful hint as to what to change or examine. Was replacing what was suggested least expensive first.

Brian

#11 ·
Remember,.... key OUT when changing relays.

Where exactly is that clicking sound coming from? Is it from the engine bay? Is that the clicking sound where you hear about 10 clicks about 1 second apart from the engine bay?

If you hear the series of at least 10 clicking sound from engine bay and leave the key in position 2,... what happens next? Does the front radiator fan starts spinning in high mode like a loud turbine engine?

I would suggest you post a video of your instrument cluster display as you turn the key slowly (pausing about 5 seconds per key position 1, 2, ignition) when you get that series of click with no start condition. Post on YouTube and provide link here.

What's the mileage on the car? How old is car battery (date stamp on -ve terminal)? OEM Mercedes car battery? Did you check starter? Has starter ever been rebuilt - bushes changed?

#12 ·
When the key is inserted and turned one position have one click everything registers and will start.

another time will put the key in turn one position have 3 or 4 quick clicks and everything register but car will not turn over.

This is routine... will start everything is good... go to store and then will need to insert key 3 to 4 times until I hear one click coming from ignition area then car will fire up.

#19 ·
The battery(s) in the SmartKey are only used for RCL (Remote Central Locking). DAS (Drive Authorization) does not require a battery in the SmartKey. The EIS (electronic Ignition Switch) has a coil in it that generates and inductive current to power the SmartKey circuit used for DAS handshaking - no batteries required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.