Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

change compartment/ash tray compartment

4K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  nickmangus 
#1 ·
for some reason i remember there being a light that turned on inside there when you opened it. Am i just imagining things or is there a light there thats burned out?

#4 ·
You're not imagining things. The ashtray in my '05 has a light inside way in the back in addition to the ring around the lighter. I guess it could somehow be leaking light from behind the lighter ring but it definitely is not from the overhead light in the rear view mirror.

#9 ·
There is a light in the ashtray. You have to remove the console panel to remove the ashtray (not the insert, that comes off easy, the actual ashtray behind the insert). I think it's on all the time the dash lights are on, there's no switch to make it go on when you open the ashtray, I know, I had it apart. My favorite discrete bulb is in the mirror that shines down on the console.

#14 ·
It softly lights up the center console making it easier to see the controls at night.

#17 ·
I have a 2001 C320, there doesn't seem to be a light anywhere on my rearview mirror. My ashtray doesn't light up, but it does seem like there should be a light in there. The ring around my lighter doesn't light up either, but the lighter works.
I also thought the car should have footwell lights but I've been told they do not.

#19 ·
wfl225 said:
I have a 2001 C320, there doesn't seem to be a light anywhere on my rearview mirror. My ashtray doesn't light up, but it does seem like there should be a light in there. The ring around my lighter doesn't light up either, but the lighter works.
I also thought the car should have footwell lights but I've been told they do not.
No light on rear view mirror in my model, but you should have a light in your ash tray like mine and the locator ring on your lighter should also light up.
I'd have that checked out.
T.

#22 ·
On the bottom of the rear view mirror smack dab in the center there is a small round hole. If you hold your hand up to it at night you should see your hand glow a soft orange. It is very dim - too dim if you ask me. It reflects in the aluminum trim at night. BMW and VW have similar lights that shine much brighter.

Attachments

#25 ·
So how hard is it to change the ashtray light? Now that I think of it it probably isn't the bulb because the light way in the back has stop lighting as well as the ring around the lighter. And I realized last night that the glovebox light is out too. Are these bulbs connected? Is it worth having the dealer investigate the next time I'm in for service? (Though with my luck they'll be shining brightly on service day.)

#26 ·
blk05c230k said:
What's the reason for that "discreet" bulb below the rear view mirror?
Ambient lighting--lights up the center console just enough so cabin is not totally dark, but not too bright. Alieviates the strain in driver's eyes during night driving. This is also the reason why BMW uses amber interior/guage lighting. Sorta like watching a movie at the theaters--notice the ambient lights on the walls (also there so you dont go tumbling down on the steps, on the way to the bathroom, and end up sueing the place). ok, i'm rambling.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.