Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Projector headlights???

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Ryanf714 
#1 ·
Guys, simple question (I think): are projector headlights also known as HID?

All I want to do is replace my 01's lights with the clear lense found on 05 and newer models...

#2 ·
Projector headlamps
In this system a filament is located at one focus of an elliptical reflector and has a condenser lens at the front of the lamp. A shade is located at the image plane, between the reflector and lens, and the projection of the top edge of this shade provides the low-beam cutoff. The shape of the shade edge, and its exact position in the optical system, determines the shape and sharpness of the cutoff. The shade may have a solenoid actuated pivot to provide both low and high beam, or it may be stationary in which case separate high-beam lamps are required. The condenser lens may have slight fresnels or other surface treatments to reduce cutoff sharpness. Recent condenser lenses incorporate optical features specifically designed to direct some light upward towards the locations of retroreflective overhead road signs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HID stands for high-intensity discharge, the technical term for the electric arc that produces the light. Automotive HID lamps are commonly called 'xenon headlamps', because of the xenon gas used in the lamps.

When in doubt, Wikipedia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.