Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Plug'n Play HID Kit Help

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  timmieone 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 C230 and iive been reading around here about hid kits and most people go with carlabs.. im curious as to what all this "programming xenon lights" is about.. I intsalled a plug in play kit on my acura rsx-s about six months ago and didnt need any programming. Im thinking about going with a very high quality kit such as http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=152
xtronic kit. Please let me know what "programming" is and what not... Thanks

#2 ·
most, if not all, japanese cars do not require xenon programming after installing HID kit... however, on european cars such as MB, computer generates error message when u normally install HID kit (including OEM bi-xenons) which all needs to be programmed "XENON PRESENT" at the dealer. but, there are few aftermarket HID kits that does not require u to set xenon present. thus, it's true plug & play.

#4 ·
MB is very clever and key safety items like headlights are monitored for proper operation. If you replace your 55W halogens with 35W HIDs it will think that bulb has gone bad and start blinking on and off and put a message on the multi function display. It doesn't do it right away, sometimes days or weeks later. If that doesn't bother you then there's nothing more to do, just install them and watch and see if they blink. Many times it won't do it and sometimes it does, just something to be prepared for. If it does you can return the HID kit to Carlab and admit defeat or do what I did and beg your dealer to set the Xenon=Present option for you. Some clever peope have put about an 8-9 ohm 25W resistor to bring it up to 55W but I think those people have left the forum when their cars caught on fire ( ;) only kidding, don't know why they left ;) )

#5 ·
Buellwinkle said:
MB is very clever and key safety items like headlights are monitored for proper operation. If you replace your 55W halogens with 35W HIDs it will think that bulb has gone bad and start blinking on and off and put a message on the multi function display. It doesn't do it right away, sometimes days or weeks later. If that doesn't bother you then there's nothing more to do, just install them and watch and see if they blink. Many times it won't do it and sometimes it does, just something to be prepared for. If it does you can return the HID kit to Carlab and admit defeat or do what I did and beg your dealer to set the Xenon=Present option for you. Some clever peope have put about an 8-9 ohm 25W resistor to bring it up to 55W but I think those people have left the forum when their cars caught on fire ( ;) only kidding, don't know why they left ;) )
Still here buell, hasn't caught fire yet.

Dion

#6 ·
DACHIGGA said:
Still here buell, hasn't caught fire yet.

Dion
Haha, still one intact survivor. I just hate recomending that because most people don't have a clue what to do and literally may set their cars on fire. BTW, my parents last and only MB caught on fire while driving on a San Diego freeway but it wasn't related to homemade electrical enhancements, just traditional German engineering and quality.

#9 · (Edited)
samsam12341 said:
honestly thats just messed up.. oh well i found a MTEC HID kit on erbay for 400 shipped and it says guarenteed no error message on computer and its 100% true plug n play with no modification http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6000...tegoryZ36476QQihZ010QQitemZ200033713789QQrdZ1 is the link.
I installed that kit in my 2004 about two weeks ago and so far no error message ... so I believe that I am safe.

Took me 15 minutes to get the HIDs lit for the first time and 2 hours to decide on a good place to mount the ballast. This was the first set of HIDs I have ever installed in my life. Pricey aftermarket kit but worth the investment when it comes to possible fires and error messages.

#10 ·
jimsterli said:
I installed that kit in my 2004 about two weeks ago and so far no error message ... so I believe that I am safe.

Took me 15 minutes to get the HIDs lit for the first time and 2 hours to decide on a good place to mount the ballast. This was the first set of HIDs I have ever installed in my life. Pricey aftermarket kit but worth the investment when it comes to possible fires and error messages.
$400 for an HID kit is almost outrageous! If you search hard enough you can find some damn good HID kits for under 300 - hell under 250 shipped - look at what K1Motorsport is offering. 249.99 w/ free shipping! Looking at the pictures alone you can tell the quality is state of the art!

You could almost buy two!

#11 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i just installed a new hid kit into my C. the hids work when i turn them on, but they do not work when i start my car. the comp instrument cluster says that there are two malfunctions no left and right headlights, DO I NEED TO TAKE IT TO THE DEALER AND GET IT PROGRAMMED? AND IF I DO HOW MUCH DOES I COST? thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.