Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Irridium or Bosch 4 prong?

9K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  everycredit 
#1 ·
Has anyone used either of these in their Benz? just curious, Ive heard some horror stories about the 4 prong Bosch plugs used in other cars, the new Irridiums seem to provide better spark, gas mileage etc etc

#2 ·
The thing some people do not know about +4 spark plugs is, although the commercial shows a whole bunch of sparks jumping around, when the reality is, the ignition system only sends one spark. That said spark will take the shorter route to ground. And once that one ground prong wears a little, then the spark will hit either that one or the next longest one.
The only exception is an aftermarket system called MSD. This system sends several spark per cylinder per fire.

#3 ·
jhartmac said:
Has anyone used either of these in their Benz? just curious, Ive heard some horror stories about the 4 prong Bosch plugs used in other cars, the new Irridiums seem to provide better spark, gas mileage etc etc

Iridium Spark Plugs Original Spark Plugs on Honda VTX 1800
MB CAME with Iridium so i'm fixing to get Iridiums again.

Iridium much higher grade, specs than even a Platinum.
( and $$$ too, DOH! )

#4 ·
It doesn't really matter that much. Some people will swear by getting better gas mileage from four prong over two or over single. And swear by irridium over platinum. Simple physics disagrees with them.

The only difference between any of them is how long they last. Since it's a pain in the ass to change sparkplugs in a benz (at least mine), the irridiums will last longer than platinum. Statistically, four prong may last longer than two.

You won't get any better gas mileage (the only difference is newer vs older).

You won't get a bph gain.

So what did I do? I went OEM on my plug change and got bosch single prong platinums (they were inexpensive--bought on e-bay a set of 12 plugs). Champions are fine as well.

Just check the gaps yourself and don't mess up the anode or cathode. And make sure your put the plug wires back in the same order you took them out (assuming they were plugged in correctly).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.