Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

squeaky brakes

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  JBeans 
#1 ·
When I recently went in for a Service B @ 29000km, I complained about squeaky brakes. So the dealer replaced the front brake pads & rotors. After this, I still experienced squeaky brakes. Was there something else that needs to be serviced? What could have caused a squeaky brake?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Several things causel squealing. From a driver perspective, the brakes can get glazed from excessive braking that builds up heat and glazes the pad. This can be cleaned up by sanding the face of the pad and then cleaning it well (you don't want sanding grit there). From an installation viewpoint, you can bevel the leading and trailing edges (better pads come that way), you can add about 1/8" bead of antisqueel compound on the backing plates, scuff up the rotors and pad so they mate quicker and finally, use a shim between the backing plate and caliper. You can make any pad squeal if done wrong.

#3 ·
Hi Buellwinkle,

Thank you for your response.

I must admit that I'm not much of a car person. Everything done to the car is from the dealer. Bet they are happy to have more people like me who rely on them.

I am not familiar with adding the antisqueal compound and scuffing up the rotors/pads. Is there something that you can suggest that I should ask the dealer to check/do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.