Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Ipod/XM in a 04 C240

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  everycredit 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am not only new to the forum but i am a brand new MB owner, first one ever. I just purchased a certified used 04 C240 and I love it. :D The stock audio (AM/FM/Cass/CD Changer) sounds great but I am additicted to XM and my Ipod. Is there any way, short of head unit replacement, to install either or both? I am willing to sacrifice the CD changer but I want to avoid the tape or FM modulator interface options. The stock radio looks great and has steering wheel contols so a new head unit would tarnish the dream, if you know what I mean. Let me know if you have any advice for me.

#3 ·
What is comand and where can you get it? Also, I am having a hard time finding a good web source for ice>link. They appear to have a product that would allow you to connect the Ipod, and auxillary product (like an XM receiver) and even keep the CD changer I would just love to know where I can get it. They call it the Gateway 400. Anyone used one, or know anything about it?

#6 ·
XM has a show called Opie and Anthony, which is so much better than Ho Ho. They also have Ron and Fez. I had a Commander unit installed in my ashtray and i love it. I also have an ipod in the car, but find that i never listen to it now that i have had the xm for the past few months.

#8 ·
Sat radio has very low bit rates so the quality difference between a good FM mod and AUX is not noticible. I had the Roady hooked up via their FM modulator and it sounded pretty good, provided power to roady when the radio was on and was failry transparrent (see my website gallery for some pics of where I put the Roady). I installed Comand and frankly, with AUX-IN I couldn't tell the difference. I like the having navigation but I wouldn't do Comand just for AUX-IN, it's actually a PITA because you have to set the sound settings each time you start the car.

As for what's better, XM or Sirius, there are good and bad channels on both. If there's a specific reason you want to go with one like Howard or MLB, then pick that, if not they are both very similar. From my personal experience, I got better reception with XM. I hated Sat radio in general, poor music quality, much worse than an iPod, FM or a CD so I went the iPod route. We still use XM in cars where sound quality does not matter like our Jeep Wrangler and Mustang convertible.

#9 ·
I used an FM modulator for XM satellite radio. But when they killed MSNBC and the baseball season being over, I cancelled my sat radio.

For iPod, I found the Ice->link wasn't for sale anymore. I went with iCruze from Monster Cable and works wonderfully. I have the LCD screen wedged in the tape casette holder below the radio, so I know what's playing. And it changes via steering wheel control.

If you want both, I know there's an after market aux-in that bypasses the CD changer (you lose the CD changer). You don't get to use the steering wheel controls (other than volume) and I think it costs less than the iCruze. But you can switch between iPod and sat radio without using an FM modulator.

Or Buellwinkle has a thing on his website to kill your casette player and direct input aux into it, if your soldering skills are up to par. But you permanently destroy your casette player. Most people don't care. Can you buy casette tapes anymore?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.