Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

xenon problems

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ML RAF 
#1 ·
i had problems in the first year with my left xenon not working all the time.. and now my car is 3 years old and the warranty is finished and i dont want to have to pay $$$12541902489124 to fix it..

anyways.

right now my right bulb "flashes" off and on a few times (it looks like its trying to come on) and then stays off..

does anyone have any clue what may be wrong? and how much its going to cost me? the guy at mercedes said that i have to take my car in to get the entire right headlight checked ($$$$) and if its the lightbulb thats wrecked then another $400 (cause its bixenon!@?$?!?)

if anyone has any advice thanks.

im pretty annoyed as it is. i had my transmission replaced last month (luckily under warranty) and one of my door locks replaced (cost me nearly 500 canadian)

#2 ·
The Xenons use ballasts to stabilize and store a charge; very much like what's done for a flourscent light fixture. Flickering flourscents are usually due to: 1) bulb that's lost some of it's gas, and can't sustain the excited level, or 2) ballast that's on the fritz.

As weird as it may sound, have you considered replacing your Bi-xenons with an aftermarket HID kit? It might be cheaper than MB service, and still let you have HIDs...

You'd think consumers would insist on a warrenty for warrenty work, something like: "We'll warrent any repairs made under warrenty for an additional year from the date of service. If our fix goes bad within that time, regardless of whether the original warrenty is in effect, we'll fix it." Anything less allows the service company to fiddle and mess around with problems until the warrenty expires, then it's our problem.

#3 ·
Ballast would be my guess

My guess would be that the ballast has died. I purchased some aftermarket HID systems and had two lights do what you described. I changed the ballast on both and the systems worked perfectly again!! I agree with Croaker that you might explore aftermarket systems. I'm not sure where you live, but there are several reputable vendors out their. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
alanchan said:
questions for you guys.
I am facing the same problem...
The BIX use D2S bulbs and the after market HID systems uses H7
how am I going to fit?
does the lights blink if I use after marker HID, anyone can post a DIY page?
Did your car come with factory Xenons? The D2S bulb means its a type of HID bulb. H7 is the actual size you want.

Ebay should sell replacement bulbs.

If your lights blink either the ballast is out or the light is out. Or if your car never had xenons you need to get it reprogrammed for Xenons at the dealer. Unless you have factory Xenons they are very reluctant to do this for you because your non xenon headlight does not have self leveling feature.

#8 ·
quddous said:
i figured out how to remove the bulb and it seems to be burned out.
You have 2 choices. Buy it from the dealer or an aftermarket one from someplace like Ebay.

By the way, when you put in a new one they never match so you end up buying a pair. Thats what I did.

If you buy from ebay i suggest getting close to 4300K (whitish) and never exceeding 6500K (whitish blue) or else you will really not be able to see. Something in the middle of 4300-6500K is good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.