Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

trouble code PO366

5K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  ajydog 
#1 ·
My wifes 03 C230 kompressor has recorded a code po366, and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? The chart that came with my code reader is not very clear on the cause..Any help or information is greatly appreciated. This is my first post ..I am new to this site..thanks in advance..ajydog

#2 ·
Did it have a message ressembling "Camshaft Position Sensor “B” Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1)"? So what it's telling you is that your Camshaft Position Sensor is not right with the world. There should be two, an intake and exhaust cam sensors. My guess is that it's the exhaust "B" and intake is "A" but keep in mine, just a random guess, slightly better than a coin toss.

First step is to unplug and plug them back in to make sure the connector is seated right. Then you have two options, reset the code and hope it won't come back OR replace the sensor. The good part is that it's got to be on top of the motor usually towards the back (I can tell you where it is on my old 2002 but the 2003 may have it in a different place). Also I can't imagine it would be very expensive ($110 for the intake and $59 for the exhaust at Duval, so lets hope it's exhaust)

What we need for this car is for someone to post part of the WIS that has where many of these sensors are and how to replace them.

#3 ·
thanks for the reply mr buellwinkle..Kinda thought the same thing..did just what you suggested..the sensors are right up front under the small plastic cover..disconnected them, and reseated the connectors..everything was clean..cleared the code, and it was good for 2 days, then it came back..Cleared the code again, and disconnected each sensor 1 at a time to try to get the code to come on, or to confirm A vs B...guess what..no codes ..let it run about 3 minutes, and no check engine lite came on..no codes to be read..put it back and went another day or so before the check engine came back..guess the question is, do I buy a sensor and risk it, or give it to the dealer to do the things I did, and then buy a sensor...thanks again..

#4 ·
If you take it to a dealer, he has to spend 5 minutes diagnosing it (that's 1 billable hour), then 5 minutes replacing the part (that's another billable hour + 120% of list price on the part). So that $59 exhaust sensor at Duval is really about $90 list and $110 at the dealer (many dealers mark up list). Then add $190 labor and you'll pay $300 but they'll make it go away. I disconnect the camshaft position sensor for fun once (I did that to all sensors, afterall a few seconds I can reset the codes) and found that disconnecting that sensor didn't throw a code on my 2002 and it didn't run any different but I only gave it a few minutes, sometimes it has to get the fault code several times before it lights up the CEL.

I did a quick search on the bimmer forum and sensor B is the exhaust side. So my guess is that you'll know which is which when you order the part, they have to look different, the prices are very different. Here's the link for Duval, if you find a cheaper MB dealer, let us all know but they are good and cheap - http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213951

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.