Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How to make a c coupe faster?

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  ANBU 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm new. :) ( My name is Tony. )

I own a 2002 black C-coupe, with a 2.3 liter 4cyl sprcharged engine. ~190hp?
It is entirely stock.

To be entirely honest, I received this car as a gift, being a teenager I had wanted something a lot cheaper, like an integra or civic.. but I had somehow ended up with a car much, much better.. and again, to be honest, I want to make this car not only stand out from stock c-coupes, but to perform better then stock c-coupes, I really dis-like the fact that a beefed up civic or integra can own me...

It doesn't really take much to make my car look different, I hope to install an amg body kit & a lorinser rear wing spoiler + a rear lip spoiler.. ( I'm open to suggestions though xD )

Performance wise, I really don't know where to start, I am looking for a list of engine upgrades or just anything that would help make my coupe fast enough to compete with newer cars and/or beefed up japanese cars..

I never intended or even wanted to drive a mercedes, I don't like being branded SPOILED or RICH, I just wanted to drive a fast car. :)

See less See more
#4 ·
You can check my website, I've done somethings to my coupe when I had it. The coupe by itself will never be fast unless you do something radical like Brabus did and put a V8 in there. You maybe be able to get a motor from a wreched C55, E55 or SL55 and drop it in, then it will be fast.

#5 ·
Eh, I have a lot of questions... :p

( I live in California. )
1. where can I search for engines recovered from wrecked cars?
2. how much would an engine swap cost at most auto shops...
3. what kind of engines can I use? I read from somewhere that some guy ordered an amg engine from somewhere in europe and had it shiped and installed here for around $25k.. ( I definately cannot afford that.. =P )
4. What kind of engines can I use? I don't know what kind of engines are compatable with a c coupe...
5. Is there no way to improve my 4cyl with tweaks? ( I've heard that engines could be both turbocharged and supercharged.. )

I saw that the c55 amg engine has 362 hp stock... 460 with performance package #3.. :surrender:

Bullwinkle, I've visited your site, did you add asbpulley/ITGfilter to the 4cyl engine to gain 30hp? I've also checked out renntech performance packages, it gives you a larger crankshaft pulley ( is this the same as asbpulley? )

I really appreciate any help or advice. :)

#6 ·
SInce you own a 02 coupe, you have the m111 engine.
THere are many things you can do.

Pulley
Headers
Cams
exhaust
filter.

Or if you got the cash. around 15k.

You can do a C32 engine swap. I know pshek over on mbklasse has done it.

The renntech brabus, kleeman and ASP pullies are all just larger camshaft pullies, so get the ASP one. Best bang for your buck.

I would definitely recommend you get a pulley ASAP.

#7 ·
DACHIGGA said:
Pulley
Headers
Cams
exhaust
filter.
Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate your help.. but I still have a lot of questions. :)

I figured out how pulley's work ( after some research. )

How would headers / cams / exhaust / filters provide better performance? and how much? price as well... =P ( and which brands should I use? )

One last thing, is the c32 engine the same as the c55?

#8 ·
C32 is a V6 with a S/C, C55 is a V8, E55 is the same V8 with an S/C. Where in CA are ya? My daughter, 16, has an SLK, same motor as yours but I won't let her hop it up, she's a speed demon as it is. If I was going for performance, I would get a Mustang GT convertible, throw a s/c kit on that 400+ HP, how can you go wrong? Now that's fast, more than that and it's too hard to hook up.

#9 · (Edited)
I'm addicted to speed as well.. but I'm smart about it. ( or so i would like to think... )
I live near the san fran area of CA.

I just have to work with what I have, besides, I rather like how the c coupe looks; it just needs more power. :thumbsup:

Is it possible to install a turbo kit onto a 4cyl engine that already has a super charger. ( or would it be beneficial/practical at all? )

( also, if you decided to buff up an engine like mine, where would you start? xD )

#10 ·
You are in luck, there is a company that makes a turbo kit for your car, it's about $15K and forgot the name of the company, something like Harmann. One person did his own, removed the s/c and added a small turbo for 300hp but he dissapeared from the forum a long time ago. If you go to a ricer tuning shop that does good fabrication work you can probably get it done for half that price. The problem with his is he had a manual trans and it can't handle 300HP but the auto can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.