Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

HELP NEEDED: Error codes after installing Ebay headlights

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Croaker 
#1 ·
Hi,

I bought a set of Eagle Eyes aftermarket projector headlights from Ebay and installed them on my 2002 W203. However, i'm getting errors on the computer screen saying my lower beam and parking lights are faulty. Has anyone experience this before? Is there a solution to this? Do I need to go to the dealer so they can reprogram my computer? Please HELP. Thanks a lot in advance.

#2 ·
re: lights

royus said:
Hi,

I bought a set of Eagle Eyes aftermarket projector headlights from Ebay and installed them on my 2002 W203. However, i'm getting errors on the computer screen saying my lower beam and parking lights are faulty. Has anyone experience this before? Is there a solution to this? Do I need to go to the dealer so they can reprogram my computer? Please HELP. Thanks a lot in advance.
tough break dude...I would never trust aftermarket headlights b/c you just jacked up your warranty....contact your seller

#4 ·
about lights

do you have pictures of the lights. are they the black ones or are they the clear ones. I would love to see how they look. as far as them not working i would try what the other guy said and put in factory bulbls or see if there is a sensor that needs to be replaced like when the bulb burns out. i know when mine said that all i needed to replace was the bulb and the indicator light turned off

#5 · (Edited)
If your lights work, but you're getting a diagnostic message inside the car, then they probably are drawing current/voltage that is different from spec, and the car thinks there's a problem.

If the system you put in is drawing *more* voltage than the stock system, then you may have indeed created a problem, as you might be drawing more current over the setup than it was intended to safely handle. Keep spare fuses handy at the minimum. HID systems use the current to drive a ballast, as the light is an excited gas tube similar to a florescent light; halogens and "normal" bulbs are filiment based and rely upon glowing wires for the light. The two systems use very different electrical feeds when it comes to current/voltage, and the HIDs also operate at a temperature that can sometimes melt the reflective backs used by "normal" type bulbs.

If the system you put in draws *less* voltage, then it's probably safe (as least as far at the current draw is concerned), but will continue to give you the error diagnostic until you have someone with the right knowledge disable or alter the headlight test.

I'm a relatively new owner of an MB, but I've encountered the HID upgrade issue in other makes, and it's a more complicated swap out than you might at first think.

After more reading, you might want to peruse this thread: linky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.