Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Noob Question...Im sorry!

835 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Buellwinkle 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, Im going to be getting a new car in the next year and I really would like to go with either a MB C230 sedan or coupe, any year from 01-up. Im pretty new to german cars and havent had much experience with them except parking them at my valet job. And also when i buy this car im looking to spend at the most 23k so my question is, is it worth buying a high milage mb? Ive looked at a few 230s in the area and they have ran about 20k and had about 50,000 miles on them. How much life do these cars have at that point? Is it really going to be worth it in the long run for me to dish out that cash for a high milage car or is this going to be a car that will last me for years?? Thanks for any response!

Phil

#2 ·
Phileeeeeeep said:
Hello everyone, Im going to be getting a new car in the next year and I really would like to go with either a MB C230 sedan or coupe, any year from 01-up. Im pretty new to german cars and havent had much experience with them except parking them at my valet job. And also when i buy this car im looking to spend at the most 23k so my question is, is it worth buying a high milage mb? Ive looked at a few 230s in the area and they have ran about 20k and had about 50,000 miles on them. How much life do these cars have at that point? Is it really going to be worth it in the long run for me to dish out that cash for a high milage car or is this going to be a car that will last me for years?? Thanks for any response!

Phil
with 23K you should be able to find something around 03/04 with under 40K miles. if you are looking for a coupe they are much much cheaper, I just saw an 03 coupe with 42K for like 13900. There is an 05 c230 sedan in my area with 25K on it and they are asking 25K. I think that is even a little too much money for that car.

the best advice i could give you is dont buy anything quick. look at a bunch and drive em all, test drive new even... make sure you are buying the right car!

#3 ·
Having owned both, I would suggest you go for an W210 with the biggest engine you can afford, better ride that a C203 and altogether a better car. High mileage is 250,000 and above, most taxis in Europe are Mercs of all generations, the older diesels often have 400,000 miles. Youshould be looking for sound history, servicing and as many standard extras as you can find. Auto, leather and climate are must haves second hand.

#4 ·
High Mileage?

My W123 Chassis has over 450,000 Miles..and (with new rubber and such) is a BLAST to drive!

I too would go for the E...I was in the same boat you are in now when I got the C, I was looking into the warranty...and not buying used / pre-owned with no warrranty...

MMM E420
Jake

#5 ·
The E vs. C is more of an age thing as the E is more of an old man's car. Afterall, with that logic, get an S or CL. But realistically, you can get a nice C230 Sport Sedan for $23K. In 2004.5 they changed a bunch of stuff, much better paint, 1" lower, nicer wheels, blue tint windows, chrome exhaust tip, etc. I bet if you hunt around you'll find one in that price range, one that's still under warranty and one that still gets free maintenance (to 50K miles or 4 years). I had both the coupe and sedan and the coupe has harder and less comfortable seats that are lower, other than that it's a nice car and because of the poorer resale value it should be cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.