Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Options for C320 Navigation

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  FrankW 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2003 C320. The console has the radio and cassette player, no navigation system/dvd player. The local Mercedes dealer's parts people said that there is no way to upgrade to their standard system, because of different dimensions in the console.

Are there any other options for me? For example, will a player from another class fit into it? Or can some "cut and paste" work make a new console fit? I want to have the option, but only want to put in an aftermarket system as a last result.

Thank you!

#2 ·
I put in the MB Comand navigation system on my 2004. You can find them in the classifieds when people sell their cars they pull them out or on ebay, figure $800-1,000. Make sure it's for a C-class (not G-class that fits but is wrong). Steve (MBenzNL) sells them installed for about $1,500 depending on when he's in the U.S. again. Although not necessary, you should have the car programmed for it so you see the directions on the MFD, either way it displays on the Comand display. You also need an antena and C1/C2 connectors and local map CD for you area, hopefully included with the unit you buy.

If you wanna go aftermarket, some people have done the Pioneer, it's pricey and has a motorized screen that will block some control but it's got a prettier 3d display. Also you will have an ugly bezzle that fills in from the trapazoid MB shape to standard double din. Also you will lose your steering wheel controls as well as the MFD for radio station and directions.

Or you can just mount one of those Tom-Tom or Magellen portable units, not as good at navigation because they rely solely on satelite info, the built in units have gyros and speed sensors to get you going before your GPS locs into the 4 satelites. I used laptop software with a GPS antena, really cheap if you alrady have the laptop and don't need it for everyday. Also I have my OBD2 scanner software on there, wifi for surfin the net when I travel.

Lastly, you can do what generations before you have done, go to AAA and get trip-tiks or stop and ask directions (maybe from someone with a nav system).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.