Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Fuel Consumption

41K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  King of Interns 
#1 ·
any of you guys owned an '02 C200 Kompressor as mine consume a lot of petrol. A full tank of 60 ltr. will only run 450km on a mix City & Highway.

#2 ·
Hi, i have a 2001 C200K, and i travel about 550Kms/week (Mon-Fri). I get an average of about 10.5lt/100kms. It does get lower, but thats an average. I to mix it up a bit also, Freeway and City driving.

i fill up about 1.5 to 2 times per week. I dont think its that bad apart from the rediculous fuel prices right now!

i hope this helped you out a bit.

#4 ·
my 05 C180k automatic uses about 9.4litres per 100km and i get over 550km from a tank

#5 ·
Not far out, seems okay. My previous C180, 2litre engine, used to give me about 360Km - 400Km (on a good day) per 60 litre fill up. Mainly City driving and the terrain here is quite hilly.

Interestingly my new C280 (203, v6) does about 380km per 60 litres so far in City driving.

#6 ·
Magnetic Fuel Saver

Has any one knows about this Magnetic Fuel Saver, do they realy work?

#7 ·
RE: Magnetic Fuel Saver

Of course they don't work. If they did the car manufacturers would install them as standard equipment. And governments world wide would require the manufacturers to do so to save fuel, and lower emissions.

#8 ·
I dont know if these cars come with O2 sensors, but if they do then you should do some of the following to decrease fuel consumption:

1. Check/replace spark plugs
2. Check/replace air filter
3. Check/replace 02 sensors

Those are just a few steps to check if you are getting high fuel consumption

#9 ·
Just wait until gas gets to $5/ gallon (Tisha rubs hands together greedily).

There are alot of factors that also affect fuel economy;

Tire pressure
Driving with the windows open (and/or driving with AC on)
How much you honk on the throttle
Grade of fuel. Actually higher grade fuels are more efficient.
Conservative shifting
Leaving plenty of room ahead so you can coast down instead of always accelerate-brake-accelerate-brake

#10 ·
I'm having serious fuel consumption and performance problems with my C200 Kompressor Coupe (W203)

The average consumption in the city is 22-23 litres, and the car runs 300-320km with full tank of 60+ ltr.
And with this terrible consumption, the car has some downshifting problems and loss of torque most of the times.

What can cause this? any ideas?

02 sensor, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs checked.

Thanks in advance,

Ozgur

#12 ·
well that's really serious as you see, any more ideas? since my mechanic says the o2 sensor is checked. There's been found some oil leaked into system, and they're cleaning it for some time every week, and it's getting less day by day, but I don't think it's causing this problem.

The car feels like so heavy to go when driving, specially when I need to accelarate quickly the car acts like a lorry. :)

waiting for some comments, so that I can check at my mechanics...

#13 ·
no comments really? I'm in serious trouble then...

ozgurgoral - 10/6/2005 12:10 PM

well that's really serious as you see, any more ideas? since my mechanic says the o2 sensor is checked. There's been found some oil leaked into system, and they're cleaning it for some time every week, and it's getting less day by day, but I don't think it's causing this problem.

The car feels like so heavy to go when driving, specially when I need to accelarate quickly the car acts like a lorry. :)

waiting for some comments, so that I can check at my mechanics...

#15 ·
I have a C180K and get somewhere around 9.5l/100km and that is just doing runs to work and back and we have a killer hill to drive up each day which accounts for an extra 1l/100kms (if the trip computer is to be believed), otherwise a 200km round trip (Highway) cost me 7.2l/100kms this last weekend. (Admittedly here in Oz we can only do 100km/hour, so it is very sedate driving).

I had a similar problem with a Subaru Liberty a few years ago and did all the mechanical checks we could think of...which ran into a nightmare which I won't go into here, and still no luck Fuel Consumption wise.

My last option was to run a Complete Fuel System cleaner through it (a simple additive in the Fuel Tank) and stuff me if that thing didn't run on the smell of the fumes after that. I don't know what it did (apart from cleaning the Injectors etc) but it was a completely different car from then on.

This was the stuff I used Nulon - Nulon Products Australia , however I'm sure there's different brands around the world with similar properties.

I do hope you are using Higher Octane Rated Fuel though, otherwise that will be the cause of your problems.

Hutcho

#18 ·
Yes it is good,but no trickery.Just lots of factors in line.
This was done on a 450klm trip down the highway,observing the speed limits to average 92klm/hour. Very little braking or stopping and selecting 4th gear just before a big hill to keep the rpm around 2500.,but the road is mostly flat.Also had a light load and only used a/c for about half an hour.Also you need your tyres well inflated,I use on a trip 40psi in the rear and 36 psi in the front.Use 95 or 98 premium fuel.
I also had fresh oil and a near new set of NGK Laser iridium spark plugs, ILFR6A.
I have done this trip several times and normally use 5.7l/100 klm,but this 5.5 was the best ever.

#19 ·
That was my next guess...a really long trip. The further they go the longer they want to go.
It's interesting watching the KM remaining going higher the further you go. I left the Sunshine Coast with 657 and by the time I hit Traffic in Brisbane, it was 856!!!.

I think with the optimum set up, I could make Sydney on a tank, or at the very least Newcastle.

The NGK Lasers...Good?

#20 ·
Once I did about 965klms on one tank,but you get worried about running out so I stopped and refuelled. Probably 1000klms is possible.
The NGK laser iridiums are very good. Stopped a minor hesitation on starting and runs fine ever since.
Got them on Ebay from the UK,much cheaper than our rip off prices.

#24 ·
Syed, I would look at getting a good Fuel Injector or Fuel System cleaner to run through a Tank of Gas and see for that goes.

This was the stuff I used Nulon - Nulon Products Australia , however I'm sure there's different brands around the world with similar properties.

I do hope you are using Higher Octane Rated Fuel (particularly in your part of the world) though, otherwise that will be the cause of your problems.

Hutcho

#28 ·
My hill is nothing but a pimple in comparison with what you find in Switzerland, so my regular Average for daily driving of between 9.4 & 9.6 isn't too bad.

I agree though the engine is silky smooth and pulls steadily without sending the Cops into a tiz. It's a beautiful if (somewhat) sedate Car to drive.

#29 ·
Yeah luckily I don't live on top but still even when taking the highway which again luckily is close by to get out of town direction north or east you have no choice but to climb which can wreck economy. Nevertheless I went for a hike in the mountains that was 70km highway followed by 30km country roads and over the 200km trip I averaged 6.1L/100km according to the computer. I kept it at 100kph per GPS and drove sedately. So definitely possible to get good mileage.

Regarding the sedateness of the transmission I like it. Recently someone scratched our car and had the misfortune of us being inside of it so we got their insurance to pay for repairs :) we got this suzuki swift automatic as replacement. This thing on the highway is MUCH louder in terms of cabin noise from the road and ride comfort is shockingly bad for longer trips of any kind out of town. Also the transmission like all these modern automatic transmissions is very urgent and fast changing. Encouraging aggressive driving style. I don't like it even though it is very new 13,000 km on clock.

All in all very happy the Merc is already 12 years old (just got in in February) it is comfortable, smooth, efficient. My only 2 gripes are that a) no aux connection for mp3 player (something I hope to remedy soon following useful guides on here) and b) that it lacks torque so often you want to get going with a firm start and nothing happens then you apply a little more throttle and it kicks down and you practically get wheel spin. That sucks a bit but hey :smile

#30 ·
Anyway regarding the 1000km in one tank. I take it to France for holiday soon. I intend to get 1000km and will post a screenshot of it when I succeed. Should be doable I have a 600km outward trip that I will do in one go and then try to eek out the final 400km on day trips ;) failing that I take it to the UK at Christmas 1100km each way so that should give a great opportunity to see what we can get out of this car.

#31 ·
We have a Honda Jazz and it has a VVT transmission (urggghhhh) neat little Car and all and much thriftier around town, but when I pick my wife up from work she freaks out because I have the stereo up so high to hear over the road noise.

As for the last paragraph, you don't happen to have it in "Comfort Mode" do you? I have no problems taking off at lights. Comfort Mode will start you in 2nd Gear, so she'll feel sluggish and when you mention the "kickdown" it probably suggests it.

I drove mine once in Comfort Mode, and thought something was wrong, turned out my son had pushed the button (next to the gear lever) in error.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.