Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

NAV SYSTEM FOR A 2004 1/2 C230

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  paulhdick 
#1 ·
I just asked my dealer if they can install a navigation system for my car and they said no not for your car and year. Is this true and if so are there any other ways to go?

#3 ·
Yo, I thought you can get anything in Brooklyn, just ask Tony.

It's not hard to install yourself, I did it about 2 weeks ago in my 2004.5 C230, works great. Depends on what you want to pay and if you want the U.S. unit or Euro. If you shop wisely, you can probably get a nice one on ebay or on the forums for $800-1,000. The workshop manual is on my buellwinkle.com website.

The reason that the dealers don't want to install it is two-fold. Suprisingly, the wiring harness is different for cars with Comand. For example, Comand uses A, B, C1 and C2 block connectors and non-Comand use A, B, C connectors so as you can see, your car won't have a C1 and C2 connectors. The same 5 wires from C can feed C1/C2 but you'll have to get creative and there's different ways to do it but the dealer won't rebuild harnesses, splice factory wires or do anything non-kosher. The second thing is the antenna, the factory unit requires removing the headliner and a lot of pieces in between. This really isn't necessary as you can shove the antena below the dashpad somewhere and it works fine, but again, it's not kosher so they won't touch it. I don't know about Brooklyn, but here in the O.C. I have trouble getting a decent oil change without them messing up, I can see why they don't want to try installing Comand.

If you decide to install it and get stuck you can PM/Email me and I'll help you out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.