Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Intermittent Horn - C320

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cbenni 
#1 ·
I turn to you forum members for any help and/or advice you can provide.

While on an Interstate driving my horn goes off. It was humorous at first as I thought it was someone else. The horn sounded constantly for about 15 minutes then went off for the next hour whenever it felt like it. No error codes were displayed on the console.

No horn problem the next day.

Gave the wife the car she drives to work - no problem. Get off from work, into the car, starts it up....the horn goes off again. Not humorous anymore, the wife did not find it funny.

Took the car to the dealer, Valley Motors, the next morning waited 5 hours and was told they could not duplicate the problem. But charged me $90 in labor.

Started the car to run an errand....horn goes off! Drive directly to the dealer. The dealer test drives the car the next day and while on the road, the horn goes off. This time 2 cars back is a policeman and he pulls over the technician.

So far they have not determined the cause of the horn problem, but continue to charge me labor to find it. I'm at $450.00 and was told by the dealer that they attempted to replace the SAM unit and the problem still exists. They have traced the horn connection and still no resolution.

Should I keep letting the cost mount up? Who can I escalate this to at Mercedes-Benz or even Daimler Chrysler. What should I do?

Any and all advice on how I should proceed is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for your reply, Miroj.

The dealer tells me that the $450.00 is labor to find the problem. I have tried to find a contact at Mercedes-Benz but unsuccessful thus far.

I have filed a complaint (confirmation number 10073090) with the NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation (ODI).

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

The ODI site clearly states " If a safety related defect exist in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment, the manufacturer must fix it at no cost to the owner. Your complaint is the first step in the process."

Thanks again.

#5 ·
RE: Intermittent Horn - C320 (Update)

Here's an update on this issue.

Talked to MBUSA Customer Care. They state the dealer is within their rights to charge the $90.00 per hour to find the problem with the intermittent horn. Also told that the Area Zone Rep, Brian Maloney, does not speak with customers.

Talked with someone at NHTSA-ODI. Was told that as there is not a current recall on the intermittent horn if I continue to have the dealer search for a resolution "get complete documentation". Stated I should request a written description of what has been done in an attempt to repair my vehicle along with the recommended service actions moving forward.

Sorry about the bad link in the previous post. Here's the correct link and the phone number to NHTSA-ODI:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq
888-327-4236

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.