Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

98 C43 - AC recharge

9K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  pdxgrease 
#1 ·
Hey guys. So I have a 98 C43 and my A/C doesn't blow cold at all.

I think it needs a serious recharge.

I was wondering, is this something I can do myself, can I get the can thing from Kragen?

Or do I need to take it in and how much would it run me?

Thanks in advance for the help.

#2 ·
if you just want a recharge, just take it into any local shop. they should have a recharge machine. my local mechanic charges me around $70 for the labor and freon.

make sure you are 100% sure you need a recharge though. my car needed the entire compressor replaced.

#3 ·
I had this issue on my W202. Every spring the A/C would blow hot. My inde would just charge the system for me. At no charge either ;)

#5 ·
That favor only came one time a year for 3 years I owned it. But yes I am very lucky to have that connection. My dad was the one who backed the shop in 1980 when they first opened.:)

#7 ·
About a week before I traded in my W202 my A/C compressor acted up. The way you can tell is if you are idel and you hear a funny sound and vibrating in the sterrng wheel that means your compressor is going. But while driving and blows cold and everything seems noraml means the belt is moving more and it works ok then. But if its not sounding funny or anything you could just need a recharge. Best thing is to take it to an inde shop.:thumbsup:

#9 ·
#11 ·
so i've called around and been quoted anywhere from $120-$185 for an ac recharge with independent shops

a few of the mechanics are warning me that freon doesn't just disappear and that i might have a leak or other things wrong

is this something i should be worried about? how is it that the freon is simply out i guess is my question and would me refilling it on my own with the R134a kit do the trick?

i guess im wondering if me spending $30 on the kit is worth doing or if i should just take it in for another $100 more

thanks in advance for contributing to this thread

#12 ·
For the kit to be about $30 its then worth doing it yourself. If you know how to. Are you a DIY kind of person? If not then do you know anyone who can help you out? The thing is like the shop said to come in and pay $100+ and not get any results would be a huge waste.

#16 ·
hey thanks for asking man. been so swamped with work i forgot all about this thread

yeah it's blowing cold again. but here's what happened:

added some freon (i bought the kind that glows under blacklight so i used a blacklight pen to search for a leak)

turns out there was a massive leak coming from underneath the compressor

so i put the car up on a lift, and found a substantial crack on the bottom of the ac compressor

long story short, turns out my friend's shop had the same ac compressor lying around, so we swapped it on, added freon, and i'm good to go!

thanks for all the help and support guys!

#17 ·
Nice man. Ya unfortunalty unless you live in a perfect world I dont know one A/C system that hasnt leaked before.

#19 ·
I'm thinking of recharging my own freon as well as my indie found a leak in the ac evaporator and said it's going to be a $2k+ job since that part alone is ~$1800. I'm looking at buying a kit that has a gauge, but where am I looking in the engine bay to fill it? Is there a DIY guide someone created or pictures someone can point me to? Thanks.

#20 ·
Didn't know that Freon was still legal and available in your part of the world. Here it is a total no-no. It is supposed to have been replaced by a more environmentally friendly gas.
My A/C in the C43 works super well and blows nice cold air when required.
In my other W202 I had no more A/C. Dealer detected a leak. Put in a special product which can detect leaks using a "black" UV light. Had to change compressor and condenser :eek: but works perfect again now :thumbsup:

#23 ·
in a recent note after an oil change its says "ac compressor leaking" That is obviously an ambigous note.. but is there a way this will not be expensiv?.. currently its not blowing very cold at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.