Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Stopping the odometer!!!

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  BenzMeister 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have a question for you experts ot there.

There is a guy in my neighbourhood who knows alot about cars and is selling his benz which has an unusually low odometer reading. One of my neighbours told me that he turned off the odometer on the car a few years ago and just turned it back on recently!

My question to you is can the odometer on a mercedes be switched off and on without anything going wrong on the car? and doesn't the car have some sourt of an iternal memory that will automatically re adjust the correct mileage once the odometer is switched back on [?]

This whole time I thought that the digital dash was a sure way to prevent shady car dealers from messing with the miles!?!?!?!?!?[:(!]'

Let me know if you know anything about this subject,

thanks

#2 ·
If this person did this, then he is breaking the law, big time. I new a guy, ( a dealer)...

If this person did this, then he is breaking the law, big time. I new a guy, ( a dealer) went to Federal prison for 3 years. So my advise is not to fool with such things.

#3 ·
I'm not in any way thinking of doing such a thing, I would justlike to be better informe...

I'm not in any way thinking of doing such a thing, I would justlike to be better informed on this subject for my own safety. When it's time to buy a different Benz, I dont want to make my decision based on the mileage just incase it can be tampered with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.