Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

98 C230 Help

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Roland 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I recently purchased a 98 c230 from a dealer auction, the car is in great condition but I noticed that when I step on the gas it revs real high and its faily slow.

This is my first benz and it has 100,000 kms on it, and since I picked it up at a dealer auction I have no service history at all.

I am not sure how often a tune up is needed but I am hoping that that might be the reason for it being so slow!?!?!

Please let me know if this is normal and how often it is recommended to have a tune up done on it.

Also, any cheap places I can pick up a tune up kit from??

Thanks guys.

#3 ·
Re: what is 'revs high', and what is 'slow'?Auto or manual?230 or 230 Kompressor?...

what is 'revs high', and what is 'slow'?
Auto or manual?
230 or 230 Kompressor?
Hi, its a automatic 230.

When I floor the car it reaches 7000 rpms and it doesnt drive fast at all, are all c230's fairly slow cars? Or Is it my car that has the problems [?]

Mabey it's time for a tune up?

#4 ·
98 C230 slowness

Roland, you are lucky you have a C230. I only have a 1994 C180 and you can guess how slow it is if yours is slow. These 4 cyl engines do not have much power, mine is only 90kw or is it 90hp? Yours should be at least 120. I really have to kick hard to get away from the traffic lights especially if I have passengers, the more the worser it gets. If I am going up slopes, not even steep ones, I have to use the kickdown to change back to 1st or it would probably stall half way. It still crawls up anyway. It would have been better if I bought a C280 with 6cyl pushing a lot harder, but it was a question of dollars and cents. Good luck, you car is like that. You can't improve it unless you add a powerchip, but that is mainly hype and you get only 1 to maybe 3hp better for almost a grand.

#5 ·
230 is not that bad an engine. It is not a rocket, but the car was not designed for that.

230 is not that bad an engine. It is not a rocket, but the car was not designed for that.
I assume that the torque converter is ok - put it into second (not facing a wall..) hold foot on brake and try to rev it up a little. If it stalls thats good. If it is quite happy sitting there with the high revs, you have a worry on your hands, and explains the slowness.

Maybe you are asking too much? what is 0-60 using kickdown all the way?

#6 ·
I too drive a 1998 C230. These cars were the last year of the non aspirated 2.3L engine......

I too drive a 1998 C230. These cars were the last year of the non aspirated 2.3L engine... the following 99-00 c230's got a factory supercharger (kompressor) which boosted HP and Torque to around 190hp/200llb torque. 0-60 in around 7.5 sec.

For the non aspirated 2.3L engine in the 98 C230 however, HP and Torque is around 150hp/160llb torque and 0-60 is around 9 sec. Its not a fast car considering it weighs 3500llbs, there are a few things you can do to make it go faster, (remove the spare from trunk) manually control your shifting from 3-4-5.

I would also advise you to use your VIN number to call mercedes and ask them to tell you the service history of the car... they have all of it on records.
While your at it, order another C-class manual/service booklet for 50 bucks, it will show you what maintenance is needed and at what intervals.

#7 ·
Re: I too drive a 1998 C230. These cars were the last year of the non aspirated 2.3L engine...

I too drive a 1998 C230. These cars were the last year of the non aspirated 2.3L engine... the following 99-00 c230's got a factory supercharger (kompressor) which boosted HP and Torque to around 190hp/200llb torque. 0-60 in around 7.5 sec.

For the non aspirated 2.3L engine in the 98 C230 however, HP and Torque is around 150hp/160llb torque and 0-60 is around 9 sec. Its not a fast car considering it weighs 3500llbs, there are a few things you can do to make it go faster, (remove the spare from trunk) manually control your shifting from 3-4-5.

I would also advise you to use your VIN number to call mercedes and ask them to tell you the service history of the car... they have all of it on records.
While your at it, order another C-class manual/service booklet for 50 bucks, it will show you what maintenance is needed and at what intervals.

I recently put some aftermarket 18 inch chrome wheels on it which are very heavy, that might slow it down a bit I think.

But I am going to go ahead and do a tune up on it, I do believe that it should be done after 100,000 kms, at least that what I have been told [?]

mabey that will help it perform a little better !!!!

Thanks for all the input guys!!!

I appreciate it [8D]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.