Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Speedometer on C 220

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  tquiambao 
#1 ·
The speedometer on my 95 C220 seems to stick, especially in cold weather. Once the car is running for awhile it suddenly jumps to correct speed. Everything else on dashboard display works fine. Dealer says that I need new unit ($1000). Has anyone had a similiar problem? Any solutions other than replacing instrument cluster? BRUCE

#2 ·
wow, rip off

thats like saying... oh your floppy disk is broken... you sir need a new...

wow, rip off

thats like saying... oh your floppy disk is broken... you sir need a new computer!

i'd get some dash removal tools on ebay for 20 bucks and remove that section u need to fix.

#3 ·
sticky speedo

Hi Bruce, thats a sure rip off! I happen to have a 1994 C180 and it also has a sticky speedo needle, but it only happens when its very hot outside in Summer!!! Just the opposite to yours. Our Summer goes up to 40 degrees Celcius for about 1 week only, otherwise its between 30 and 36 degrees on the hotter days. Some have said that the needle stopper at the bottom end gets a bit sticky in the heat due to the paint used on it becoming heat affected. Some said to apply drop of superglue to it and make sure it dries completely before allowing the needle to ever touch it again. So far I haven't done anything and because its cooler now in Winter, its running normally, no stickings at all. When it stuck, I had to run up to about 40kph before it got unstuck and thats where it jumped to. Recycled or used speedos come at around A$300 a piece or its the whole cluster I'm not sure.

#4 ·
Save your money!, no need to buy tools to take out the dash cluster or to fix a sticking n...

Save your money!, no need to buy tools to take out the dash cluster or to fix a sticking needle. Take the bottom drivers side kick panel(under dash panel) off and reach up and push the cluster out OR remove the drivers side tweeter and heater duct cover next to the cluster and push the cluster out from there, It will come out fairly easy, then at the correct angle the unit will come free -after detaching the two harness connections on the back. take the cover off the cluster, you can either scrape the last 1/4" off of the sticking needle with a razor blade or use paint remover on a cotton swab on the last part of the needle, I did all my needles to be safe. The coating that MB used on these needles are what makes them stick agaist the stop when cold or hot.

Good luck,
-M

#5 ·
you seem to know a lot of "short cuts" and money saving techniques. I need your help on...

you seem to know a lot of "short cuts" and money saving techniques. I need your help on installing my alarm. Some problems I've encountered:

1. Door lock/unlock switch is in the radio/AC panel. I was able to remove the radio and the 2 screws at the bottom of the panel but I couldn't remove the panel. Should I remove the AC duct (grill) first?

2. I traced the driver's door pin switch and tapped the alarm. When I open the driver side door, the alarm works but doesn't work when I open the other doors. Is there a common wire for all 4 doors?

3. Do you know the wire for the dome light?

Being a first tine owner of a C220, comments from you will be a great help.

Thanks

#6 ·
tquiambao,

I'm afraid I cant help you much there, I am fairly new to Mercedes also, but...

tquiambao,

I'm afraid I cant help you much there, I am fairly new to Mercedes also, but I learn quick.

the reason I know how to do the dash is I did the needles on my C36 and my girls c280,they both work fine now, best thing to do is a 'search' either on this forum or try 'shopforum'. Someone might have a wiring diagram that would help you. I do know that all four doors are wired seperately, but there also could be a common wire that would work.

Good luck,

-M

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.