Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2000 C230 - Loss of power during acceleration

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Maiq_the_Liar 
#1 ·
So I've had my 2000 C230 Kompressor for a few years now. About a year ago I noticed an issue where it loses power a bit when accelerating heavily. I drive 100 miles every day to get to work and back on the freeway, going 70mph. I have no problem reaching or maintaining that acceleration. However, if I ever need to accelerate heavily, the car starts "surging" where it looses power and comes back and loses it and comes back. The moment I go back to a more reasonable acceleration, it's fine.

I really only notice this when I try to pass someone. However, this morning at a stop light, I had problems accelerating for a few moments. And now I'm worried.

In the last year, I have replaced the spark plugs and wires/boot things. I've also replaced the alternator and the mass airflow sensor. The mass airflow sensor has actually been replaced 3 times now in the past few years, but the first two times were my fault. (I added some engine cleaner to the oil, but since the oil was leaking into other sections, the cleaner got on the MAF and killed it.)

I've searched the forums, and I see several other posts about the same thing, but they are rather generic, being "my car looses power a bit what do I do?". I'm wondering if the fact that it ONLY happens when I stomp on the gas could help narrow it down to something a bit more specific that I can try to rectify. I'm thinking fuel pump or filter, but that's because those are the only two parts that I'm aware of that sounds likely. I'm not a super mechanic, so my diagnostic skills are not the best.

See less See more
#3 ·
yes a Bosch MAF is really the only acceptable replacement... but was the problem present with the old MAF, and did it change anything?

Also swapping out a fuel filter really can do no harm other than possibly spending a few dollars ahead of schedule. decent piece of mind and crosses a potential issue off the list. I would also swap out the fuel pressure regulator as it might be getting weak.

Plugs should be giving you a misfire code and CEL, but again on the side of preventative maintenance cheap piece of mind and peak efficiency.

Engines running with an artificial atmosphere tend to be very picky about octane and spark gap... perhaps a good dose of techron fuel injector cleaner, and a fresh tank of the best gasoline you can find with the highest octane.

Finally you are kinda describing "Boost surge" would be interesting to hook up a gauge to measure the boost and watch if it fluctuates under heavy throttle. my guess would be you possibly have a very weak spring on your wastegate and it is allowing a release of pressure, then resetting...but I have no idea if yours is electronic or mechanical. May be as simple as a vacuum leak to the wastegate actuator. if you can disconnect it and carefully accelerate to see if the condition is gone...there's your answer, but don't floor it and go wild as without the pressure release, you're very likely to pop a head gasket...

#4 ·
It wasn't the super expensive bosch one. I got one for like $35, but the problem existed before I replaced it. Previous to that it was replaced at Firestone, and it is possible that they used a cheap one as well.

I will look into replacing the MAF again when I am able to afford it, which may be sooner rather than later since my Check Engine Light just came on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.