Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Fuel Gauge needle

730 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Georj 
#1 ·
Hello. My 1995 Mercedes Benz c class c280 2.8 Inline cylinder has been running perfect a dream but my gas gauge needle has started boucing up and down for no reason what should i suspect the problem is? a sensor?

#4 ·
I'm sure others will chime in shortly, but yes it could be a sender issue.

It also could be the infamous gauge cluster issues, or the fuel wiring harness is corroded. Lets remove some variables.

Do you have the factory wiring harness, or has it been replaced.
Do any other gauges seem to be reading improperly
Does the "bouncing" occur at a specific fuel level, or is it completely random
The bouncing....is it a flutter, no reading at all, stuck in a certain position, reading wildly far above or below the indicator (like 9 or 12 oclock position)
Does the car continue to run well during the bouncing?
Recent changes to the electrical system such as a new battery, OVP relay etc....

I believe (which is worth exactly zip) that there is an updated fuel sending harness that is different from the factory unit, but I'm not sure how it differs, mine had been upgraded when I got it.

#5 ·
My gas gauge needle started similar erratic behavior after I removed the battery to clean the trunk. See my recent post on this subject. I have not yet figured out the problem. I am told these cars have two sending units and they are not cheap. So for now I am monitoring the miles driven and using that as an indicator to fill up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.