Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Broken Mirror? Can broken piece be brought at Dealer?

740 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BolivianFuego 
#1 ·
Since i bought this car the mirror has been flopping around and I finally am getting around to fixing it. :p

It's not a big deal unless I'm under heavy acceloration, otherwise it stays still.

What's a matter with it? And with what is broken, can I buy the broken part from the dealer or do I just have to buy a used mirror somewhere?

And I also noticed the Driver's side mirror (not this one)--the defrost on it doesn't work. Could that be because of the relay issues with this car? My rear defrost doesn't work either....but the pass (this mirror) defrost works.....strange....

See less See more
#3 ·
I cant really tell from the pics, but I'd say the spring that pulls it back to the door is disconnected. My best advice would be for you to remove the painted cover, then you should be able to see the spring and reattach it. There is a stainless steel spring clip that releases the painted housing, and it will just slide off. Look up a youtube video and you'll see how it works.

#4 ·
You could try drilling and rigging up a hook for the spring. You can't buy the door mounted part alone anywhere. The tab on the casting that holds the spring is broken off. Very common problem. Just bite the bullet and buy a new mirror. Save the covers so you don't have to paint the new ones.

#5 ·
Thanks man!! Funny thing is, that is EXACTLY what I did last weekend after doing a quick google search to see if there was a cheap fix out there. This was it...and it was awesome and cheap. :p

Mirror now is back to normal after almost 1.5 years hahaha.

Thanks everyone on this thread! Little by little this car is being put back to normal condition.

Up next is getting the defrost working on the driver's mirror and defrost in the back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.