Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Brake pad warning light on, then off.

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  sparkywong 
#1 ·
The brake pad warning light on my 1997 C200 came on a few months ago. I purchased new pads but have not fitted them yet, however, the warning light has gone off again.

The pads need replacement shortly but I find it interesting that the light has gone off, so I wondered whether the conductor in the pad could have severed. Have other members had a similar experience?

#2 ·
That is the pattern for the brake wear sensors.

The rotor wears thru the plastic coating and shorts the sensor triggering the light. At first an intermittent light. Then fully on as rotor makes full contact with wire sensor. Then the light goes out as the sensor is completely worn thru and there is no longer contact between rotor and sensor wire.

#3 ·
I have actually didn't put my sensors back into the new pad after I changed the brake pad, since the old one is too fragile and could came loose while driving, ordering a new one took time and I'll have to remove everything again to put the new sensor back in.

No issues at all without the sensor in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.