Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

99 C280 Cracked Radiator?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  georgebuhr 
#1 ·
Hello all. 99 C280, 200k miles. There is a line of coolant leaking along the drivers side of the radiator. The upper hose is secure and dry. The leak appears to be coming from a point where the power steering pump hose cooler (?) is pressed against the side of the radiator.

Does this cooler line get hot? Should it be touching the radiator at all? Has anyone experienced or heard of this before?

It's an extremely difficult spot to see but that's the only cause of the leak that I can see. Looks like I'll have to replace the rad but I wonder if I'll get the same issue with a new rad. Are there any DIY write-ups on R&R of the radiator around?

Here are a few (not so great) pics of the cooler lines against the radiator, looking from the front of the car. Looks like the lower line is the problem. Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks George. I had it towed to my indie shop. No one had the radiator locally & would take a week or so for delivery and I need the car on the road ASAP so I bit the proverbial bullet.

After an internet search I found at least 2 others that have experienced this issue. I'm thinking it may be due to faulty motor mounts causing the steering cooler lines to vibrate against the radiator eventually creatining a breach. So new mounts are on order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.