Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1998 C230 Spark Plugs Replacement: OEM-Comparable Options?

8K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  bachusattackus 
#1 ·
I'm having misfiring and 1st gear acceleration/stuttering issues with my 1998 C230. My first thought was to replace the (what I believe are factory 119,000 mile) spark plugs but I have run into the seemingly hotly debated issue of resistor vs. non-resistor spark plugs.

I have seen through research that we have the distinct honor of owning cars that have resistors in the wires, NOT in the spark plugs and that mistakenly getting resistor spark plugs doubles up the resistors and blows the ignition coils.

So my question is, what have you done? Is there a reliable/comparable product out there that won't blow my ignition coils? Or should I bite the bullet and replace the whole thing with new non-resistor wires and resistor plugs?

#2 ·
Plug wires will build resistance in them over use, so if they are original wires and plugs, if it was my car I would just change the plugs and wires and be done with it. Last time I did plugs I did wires and plugs and bought the Bosch Platinums with the 4 electrodes. Noticed an immediate increase in mileage, if not power. Been running them for about 20,000 miles now with no issues. Bought plugs and wires through Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips. You may find them cheaper elsewhere. And to be clear I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with going with the cheaper plugs, they all make spark, but I think good quality wires is important.

#3 ·
Don't feel bad, I am running my 2000 C280 on original spark plugs at 145,000 miles!

I replaced my spark plugs on my ML430 with supposedly Bosch OEM equivalents (the originals plugs are no longer made) at 110,000 miles and noticed no improvement at all. Since then I had to replace three ignition coils. I had a look at the old plugs after removal and they looked just fine to me, and the new ones looked like cheaper construction. I should have left the original plugs alone.

So I am in no hurry to replace my C280 plugs unless I have an ignition problem. Unfortunately, it sounds like you do.

It turns out that the local MB dealer is price competitive with a good independent shop, so when the time comes I will just let the dealer change the plugs per their recommendations. They quoted me US$260 to change the 12 spark plugs in my C280. I'll be sure to ask them all about resistance and wires.

DelJ

#4 · (Edited)
Mercedes is using NGK plugs in many applications. Check out their website.

Multiple prongs give longer life theoretically, but not hotter sparks or multiple sparks. Platinum or iridium should last longer, but the spark system must be designed for them.

Our cars were spec'd with copper plugs, which are still best changed every 10,000 miles.(!) In order to make car buyers happier, they used the three prong plugs and spec'd a 30,000 mile change.

Do yourself a favor, switch to copper single prong plugs and change them every 10,000 miles. And use NGK - the same brand Mercedes-Benz puts in this car:

http://www.f1technical.net/f1db/cars/1005/mercedes-amg-f1-w04?sid=a88c8ee5e4eda44a46a74fd4d9727ece

#5 ·
The 2000 W202 C280 models were manufactured with platinum spark plugs that are officially specified for 100,000 miles before replacement. The 2000 C230 plugs were specified to last 30,000 miles.

One has to weigh the questionable benefit of shorter spark plug change intervals with the real risks of cross threading, dirt particles and damaged wires/blown coils. I would just go with the specified intervals (or even longer).

The consensus on the W163 forum was to avoid the multi-prong plugs.

DelJ

Mercedes is using NGK plugs in many applications. Check out their website.

Multiple prongs give longer life theoretically, but not hotter sparks or multiple sparks. Platinum or iridium should last longer, but the spark system must be designed for them.

Our cars were spec'd with copper plugs, which are still best changed every 10,000 miles.(!) In order to make car buyers happier, they used the three prong plugs and spec'd a 30,000 mile change.

Do yourself a favor, switch to copper single prong plugs and change them every 10,000 miles. And use NGK - the same brand Mercedes-Benz puts in this car:

Mercedes AMG F1 W04 - F1technical.net

#6 ·
You can get the latest Bosch platinum plugs from Autohausaz. I don't have the V6 so I don't need 12 plugs.

But be sure to use dielectric grease when reattaching your plug wire boots. This is to keep them from sticking on the plugs and coils when you need to change the plugs again.

Some say don't use antiseize paste on spark plugs. But if you use a very small bit, then the next r&r will go smoother. Correct torque is 20 ft/lb.

I didn't mean to create confusion. Do what you feel comfortable with, you certainly won't go wrong with the factory's advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.