Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rear deck speaker wires

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bachusattackus 
#1 ·
Hi BenzWorld Forums!

This is my first post here, so please feel free to correct me if I seem a little off.

I'm on vacation right now, and when I come home I'm going to be installing new speakers and subwoofers in my '97 c230. This c230 does NOT have a bose system. I have just a few questions that I hope someone can answer. I already have an aftermarket radio hooked up to a METRA harness. The METRA harness is connected to my Kenwood 252U radio. When I wired it, there were only 4 speaker wires, not 6.

When I looked in the rear deck, I saw two speakers facing into the trunk, and the car phone speaker facing into the trunk. When I set the fader all the way back, and crank the bass, I can hear those speakers in the trunk hitting. Where does the wiring for the speakers go to? Is there a splitter or an amplifier somewhere in the car that I need to be aware of? I want to replace those 2 speakers with a set of 6.5" speakers that I bought.

Also, I was thinking about taking the car phone speaker out, punching the foam out of the 4th hole, and putting two subwoofers in the rear deck, so I can get some bass back in to the system. Has anyone else tried this with success/failure?

Thanks again guys!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202-c-class/1610993-rear-woofer-upgrade-non-bose-w202.html

That post sums up my experiences learning how to effectively put some 6 1/2" speakers in my rear deck, and getting them to sound good and work the way they should. Your car varies from mine - you have a car phone speaker cut out, and you have a different head unit. I don't know what kind of power your head unit has, but mine would not push the baskets without clipping, so I added the amplifier.

If you don't use the cell phone speaker (I don't think you can) then you should consider replacing it with a passive radiator - that is, an un-powered speaker used to increase bass response from a speaker box. Boston Acoustics has been doing this for years. All you would need is a 6 1/2" passive radiator and one of the Autoleads install adaptors.

Polk Audio Passive Radiator Woofer Speaker | eBay

My car didn't have the cell-phone speaker cut-out, so I didn't put in a passive radiator. But I would have done it without hesitation if I had, in order to maximize my bass.

Also check out how I did my tweeters. In order to do the tweeters and the woofers, I used a component speaker kit and put the woofers in the deck and the tweeters in the dash, then threw away the included crossover.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202-c-class/1610095-w202-tweeter-install-non-bose-looks.html

I used coaxials for the door speakers, and went with Boston Acoustics throughout, while retaining the stock look.

As you can tell, I'm proud of my system!

#3 ·
I read over the threads and they look great, I'll definitely use those when I'm home tomorrow and installing my speakers. As far as an amp goes, would I have to do a 4 channel or 6 channel to get the 2 front, 2 back door, and 2 rear deck speakers amplified?

#6 ·
quick question i got a 98 c230 with a non bose system when taking apart the car a while back i noticed a speaker in the pass kick panel. what is it for?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.