Best way to drive on ice? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 1997 C280
Best way to drive on ice?

I'm wondering how everyone here handles winter driving in the w202. Is it best to use winter mode? That would seem obvious but today winter mode wasn't letting me accelerate quick enough at lights. Then there's ASR. Should that be on or off?
Triggerhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: '98 C230 '07 SLK 280 '86 2.3-16 '06 Audi A3 2.0T FSI
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to rjb190e Send a message via Yahoo to rjb190e
Are you using snow tires?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1995 C220
I have an older one without traction control. Its tricky to say the least. I pray there is no snow and if there is I find a FWD car to take instead. I also keep a set of snow chains in the trunk just in case I get caught in a snow storm, but bottom line this is the worst car I have ever driven on the snow. And I used to consider myself a better than average bad weather driver, but not with this car thats for sure.
georgebuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: c200 w202 5 speed
Get snow chains on the rear. Ive tried driving with both the asr on and off and in my opinion ASR does not help get getting out of parking space as it locks the wheels instantly.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: 2000 C230 Kompressor
Send a message via AIM to flip240
In the winter, I drive in W-mode with traction control off from a stop. With it on, I can't accelerate worth a damn. Once I'm up to speed I do turn it back on if I'm not 100% concentrated on driving, it does a wonderful job keeping the car from skidding or losing control. But it's completely worthless when coming from a dead stop or going up a hill.
flip240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2007
First, we're talking about driving on ice, and I don't understand the acceleration issue. With ice driving, the trick is just to stay on the road.

With my 280, I just left it in Winter mode all year. If I wanted to accelerate, I just stepped on the throttle and the car went. Basically, it would downshift.

Winter mode starts in 2nd gear and upshifts earlier. With ice, you're better off starting in 3rd or 4th, which of course, you can't do with an automatic.

In any case, winter mode and normal mode are just one toggle switch away from each other anyway. When the road is good and the weather is above freezing, switch back.
marvinstockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1997 E320, 1997 S320
best way to drive on ice? you always avoid driving in ice, doesn't matter if you have 4-matic, snow tires, a jeep or a subaru, you will always slide on ice. if you absolutely have to drive, then use cables or chains.
on snow is different story, since you will be fine with good set of snow tires for rear wheels. not necessary having front snow tires, but it's a big plus. coming downhills always manually lower gears, and drive slow.
tirona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1996 Mercedes c220, 1994 Mercedes SL500, 1983 w126 280SE Euro
I have a 1996 Mercedes C220 that does not have ASR or W/S Mode, just recently took it to the mountains this last storm we had and it was a drive to remember! any spots of ice id hit on the road the rear end would want to go its own way, it was really tricky to keep it on the road the trick is to keep steady acceleration and no abrupt turning, and i had goodyear Eagle F1 all season tires,
but i made it to the chain check point and i was happy once the snow cables were on, made the drive much more enjoyable knowing my rear end wont want to spin out at any second.

But the safest way to go is full rear snow tires and carry cables because no matter if they are snow tires you would still slide on ice, this way you have the safety of cables or chains on your side. here is a photo of the trip with my brother and his w124 E420

Overall Mercedes cars are a thrill to drive in any weather

benzdude280se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: W124 400E, W126 500SE
Send a message via ICQ to zviratko Send a message via Skype™ to zviratko
Get good(!) snow tires and driving in winter will be a joy. But get bad snow tires and it becomes a nightmare.
Out cars are often front-heavy but rear-driven, so you want to put some junk (sack of sand and a shovel, ideally) to the trunk, and go easy on the throttle unless stuck - then you want to push it hard for ASR to do it's job.
If you learn to drift then a whole new world opens for you, depending on legislation in your area I'm used to drifting through half intersections here in winter and police don't care as long as you don't endanger anybody, I know in the US a wheelspin is considered a capital crime so... YMMV
zviratko is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class