BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1995 W140 S320 LWB, 1983 w126 280SE Euro
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry LAZY FUEL GAUGE!! :(

i have one question, i have a 1996 c220 and the fuel gauge on the cluster is sometimes on the money and sometimes lazy, and i noticed when i hold the back connector a certain angle it comes back to life and tells me the accurate reading.
what pin is the one that gives power to that gauge or color of that wire so i can make better contact with the pin.
i noticed in the back of the cluster it has letters like the alphabet if that helps any.
PS i know its not my fuel sending unit going bad because i have switched several clusters to have the same thing happen... will i need to just replace the whole wire connector for better contact all together? hopefully there is a way i can just adjust the pins pinching them to make better contact
thanks or the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 02:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2010 C200cgi W203/SLK230/C180/230E/280SE
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Overfilling can give you odd gauge readings

Oberoi
#3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 02:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb

well i was messing with the cluster today and found out it is indeed a loose pin some where in the connector i just wish i knew what pin or wire it is so i can fix it without messing up any of the others. i just got to learn the ABC pin diagram they use for the cluster.
well if i find out the information myself i will post it here in case anyone else runs into an odd gauge issue
#4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 06:20 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 96 C220
Please let us know. I also have a 96 c220 with the "lazy" fuel gauge. Depending on the day I can either drive to Miami or not leave driveway.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 07:55 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Post Finally Fixed it and it works great!!!

i had no luck getting any help anywhere with this so i decided to tackle it myself.
i looked at the wires going to my fuel tank and noticed a blue wire with a black line identical to the one on the wire harness that connects to the back of my cluster on the fuel gauge side... so i decided to take pics of what to do

Step one is to remove the cluster and pull it out so there is more room to work with the harness, you can also pull out the cluster half way and work around it if you have small hands. i went to the scrap yard today and clipped a harness off a c280 so i can take better detailed pictures, im sure they used the same color wire blue/black for a lot of other benz's but back on topic.

once you see the wire harness you want tocut the zip tie holding the wires at the top (circled in yellow)
then slide the tab at the rear of the harness down.....

Step two you can slide out the harness from its shell

step three you will notice the blue/black wire (red circle)

step four there will be other wires sharing the same slot with neighboring pins, gently pull out to expose the pins that are in that slot bar

final step 5 when the pins are somewhat exposed what i did was get a fine tip object i used a sturdy wire with a small tip and pushed down on the pin (circled in red) not too hard just enough so it will get better contact.

once i did all that i put back together in reverse order installed the cluster and the gauge has no issues at all! took a few days to figure this one out on my own but hope it fixes your problem! good luck!!
c180w20294 likes this.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 11:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 94 Midnight Blue MB C280 w/131000 miles
If I had this issue I could easily understand your solution and would be able to fix the gas gauge... thank you for this post

#7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
My goal is to find out what each wire does and figure these clusters out, im getting a collection of clusters together so i can experiment on them and see if here are ways to make them compatible, my original cluster failed and i had 147k and the used cluster i have in there now has 275k and is from a c280 so the mph goes up to 160.... and i cant seem to use the newer clusters from the c230's because the pin points are switched up so some gauges work and some dont and warning lights stay on.
once i find out what wires do what i will post more to this thread.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 12:31 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2011
Vehicle: 1999 C240 W202 (mine), 1999 C180 W202 (daughter's), 1965 220S W111 (son's), 1977 300D (rear-ended)
Apologies for reviving an older thread but I wanted to give my thanks to "benzdude280SE" for this great fix to a very annoying problem!

He gave clear & concise directions along with great photos - I shall try to emulate for my next project!

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class