Vehicle: 2002 ML500, 2001 CLK430, 1996 E320, 1995 C280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
!!!Tie Rod Removal HELP!!!

I'm trying to replace the tie rod assembly on my 95 c280. My pickle fork worked on the outer tie rod ends but not enough room to get a good hit on the inners. I bought a 3 prong gear puller and a two prong gear puller but there's not enough room in the engine bay to get a ratchet or wrench to turn the puller screw. How are you guys removing the inner tie rods? I could really use a hand with this. Been working on since Friday night and need to get it road worthy by Sunday. Also, I'm on jack stands w/ no air tools. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2011
Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
202 views & no one has a reply? Come on guys (& gals), I really need help on this one. I'm begging PLEEEEASE! All my searches come up with everyone saying use a puller but I can get it to work. I viewed a youtube video but not much detail there. Anyone? Please?
#3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 12:41 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 1995 E320, 1986 190E, 2000 SL600 (Sold)
I had the same problem with my 95 e320. I got 3 ends off with the pickle fork. but the last one gave me hell. This is what I did. My problem one was on the passenger side connected to the idler arm. First let me say that the ball joint of the tie rod had already broken off the tie rod , so ball joint bolt is what I had to get off the idler arm. I was gonna replace the idler arm bushings anyway so I had to take it off the car. So I get the Idler arm off and put on the tie rod remover (see pic) and put the idler arm in a vise. I start cranking the remover bolt little by little. It doesn't budge. Tighten more and more. Nothing. Then after about 45 seconds..... BANG. Just like a gun it popped out. Be sure you stay out of the path of the bolt. And that was it. Im glad it happened on the last bolt instead of the first. Or I wouldnt have finished the job. Hope it helps. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tie rod remover.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	468373  
#4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 08:26 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 1978 240D
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
If anybody posted a guide to replacing the whole drag link assembly with outer tie rods, I would be eternally grateful.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply Mrberte. That's the tool I need but all the parts stores open today (Sunday) didn't have it stock. I did pick up a 3lbs hammer but all it did was beat the crap out of my cheapy fork that looks like it's made out of some type of aluminum amalgam or something. I'm SOL for today. I'll have to take tomorrow off, find that tool or the conical type & get it done. It's just been so aggravating spending what will now be 4 days & extra $ on ineffective tools, on what should be a fairly easy job.
Thanks again!
#6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 07:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1995 C220
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
The tool in pic is by far easiest way to do it, but I would also say, pickle fork is ok but you need to smack the knuckle surrounding the rod end, and they usually pop loose, although when I did mine, it was insanely tight and the tool was only thing that would knock it loose. I like the tool because I've never been fond of smacking my suspension with a hammer, pickle fork or not.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 07:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1995 C220
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
BTW they have tools similar to that at the Harbor Freight stores. You wont find it at an auto parts store.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 11:19 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 1995 E320, 1986 190E, 2000 SL600 (Sold)
Oldirty, Here is a link on the 124 chassis page. Scroll down to the suspension/chassis. Im pretty sure the alot of the suspension components are similar to the w202. Hope it helps. Good luck. BTW, I did get the remover tool at harbor freight. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124...iy-thread.html
#9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
The right tool for the job makes life so easy

Today I found the tool Mrberte pictured. It was part of a set, simialr to the one at Harbor Frieght, but I found it at National Tool.

$120 but well worth it. Popped the bolt right out. Now I have the right tool for my 99 C280 and a nice assortment for other projects.

I agree with georgebuhr, smacking that thing just felt so wrong and in my case way ineffective. Had I known about this tool, a 2 hour project wouldn't have lasted 4 days. Thanks again everyone. This was a tremendous help!
#10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerhappy View Post
If anybody posted a guide to replacing the whole drag link assembly with outer tie rods, I would be eternally grateful.
This was the most detailed I could find. I wouldn't try this on ramps though, much easier with the wheels off.

With that & "THE TOOL" you should be golden.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.