#11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 03:12 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1998 C230, 2005 Tundra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
It's contact cement, depending on how hard you push down will vary the amount it sticks. The idea is to roll it out from the center, although I have picked it up in spots, resprayed both sides and waited a minute and reapplied it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 11:01 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1997 C230
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tried this myself and got fed up. Kudos to you my friend, a local shop here charged me $250 to complete this job (including sunroof and sun visors) didn't think that was unreasonable giving all of the (now brittle) plastic trim pieces. Best of luck!
#13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 04:03 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkypost View Post
Tried this myself and got fed up. Kudos to you my friend, a local shop here charged me $250 to complete this job (including sunroof and sun visors) didn't think that was unreasonable giving all of the (now brittle) plastic trim pieces. Best of luck!
Thanks, it's a lot of work and I'm basically very cheap.

I did get the headliner back up last night. Had a couple of days of rain here so that slowed me down. Didn't get any pix of the install, had a friend come over and we had it back in the car in about a minute. Amazing how things go after you have done them once or twice. I got it back up on the ceiling, looks pretty good. Still have 4 out of 6 trim pieces to recover along with the sliding sunroof panel. Hopefully will have some or all that done today or tomorrow with some more pix.
#14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 07:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
OK, if you thought everything was going honky dory, think again. For some reason and I can't explain why, I cut the material off flush with the edge of the sunroof rather than rolling it over. I thought it would somehow tuck under the metal frame that remained in the car, glued to the roof. And I thought it might be too thick as well. Well it didn't tuck under so now I had a raw edge of exposed board and unfinished material looking down through the roof.

After stewing about it I came up with a plan. I would apply some of that U channel edging they use to prevent door dings. Went out this morning and got a roll of it for about 11 bucks at the local advance auto. Like all good ideas, execution left something to be desired. But this wasn't the first trouble spot I ran into. I tried to cover one of the c pillars and it turned into a mess. Problem is that the cover has a fairly sharp drop off that turns into a concave area that caused the material to bunch up very badly. Fortunately we have a friend who is a very talented seamstress and can do just about anything with fabric. I asked her for some help on the c pillar and she came over this morning as I was struggling to get the molding on the sunroof opening edge. Long story short, she was able to manipulate the plastic edge so that it nicely covered up the edge and should hopefully hang in place as it has a glue strip inside in the middle. Moral of the story: if things go too easy, Murphy hasn't gotten here yet. Moral 2: Be very glad for your friends with special talents:

We still haven't gotten the C pillars done, but from this picture you can see why they are a bit problematic:

Glad I bought 4 yards, hopefully it will be enough for everything. And the pillar trim had no foam backing, it was only a cloth covering, so using this material with the foam is fine on the A pillar, should be fine on the B pillar and we will see how the C pillar turns out tomorrow.

Finally, I tried using some silicone to act as a glue to hold the headliner board up to the roof. Previously there was some glue residue on both the board and the roof, so I know that is how they held it there, besides the hand fixtures and the around the door trim. Well, this morning I found that the silicone let go and I easily peeled it out from the board. Now I need to find another type of adhesive to try.

Holding up the board to set the adhesive:

Stay tuned, it aint over yet.
#15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 01:23 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok, it's been a bit of time since I've worked/posted on this part of the car. I've had it on the road for a couple of weeks now, so far so good. Will be doing some work on AC replacing an evap temp sensor and brakes, but I thought I would catch up on what has been done so far with the headliner job.

Last week I was able to recover the sliding panel as well as the B pillar pieces. Now the A and B pillars are in the car, only thing left I have to do is the C pillars and am not anxious to do that since I know they will be a bear and probably won't come out as well as I would like them too. But maybe I'll be surprised..

So here is what the A pillar looks like:

And here is the B:

I did not capture the sequence to recover the B pillars, but one thing to note was that I popped out the sliding part for the belt and then used some blue tape to cover the plastic that it slides in from overspray with the contact adhesive. When I had the outside done, I removed some of the foam in the middle and then cut the window and glued the edges back around to make a nice smooth opening. Came out fairly well.

For the sunroof panel, I debated over whether to order the new louvers since for sure these would be destroyed if I tried to pop them out first. I decided to leave them in and cover over them with the material since they were pretty well flush and the foam would hide them fairly effectively. I initially covered them with paper to shield them from glue, I'd rather it just sat on top. If you do yours and feel the need, they cost about 40 bucks each and more power to ya, but I have to cut costs somewhere. This material does breathe fairly well so there will be air movement even covered up.

Here is the board with the material glued on but edges not doubled over yet. I am removing the foam backing so I can get it down tight.

Blue tape on the rub strip, other edges already glued:

All edges glued, cutting out the foam so I get a tight fit for the handle:

Finished product:

Gotta fix the issue with the sunroof motor first before I put the panel in. Don't want to risk having the roof open and no way to close it. Car sits outside all year long so it has to stay dry.

Last edited by Aquinob; 07-24-2012 at 01:26 PM.
#16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 02:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 2008 C200K - Avantgarde
Great work I must say..

I have not attempted such yet, but when the need arises it shall be done

all the best!

MafiaDon

Cars:

2008 MB C200K (W204) Avantgarde - Weekend car

Other various MB's previously owned:

W140 - W210 - W210 Estate - W202 - W203 - W203 Estate - R170 - W211
#17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 11:18 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 1999 c280
This is unreal, the before pictures make me think you are doing this on my car.
#18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:05 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
This may be the final update unless there are any questions. I finally got around to covering the C pillars this last week. As much as I would have liked to cover them with one piece of fabric, I could not get it to work where it would have bunched up in the concave section on either side. If you give it the slack on one side, the other side would look terrible. My seamstress friend talked about laying it down on the bias, in other words 45 degrees from the direction the direction the cloth is made in (top to bottom, side to side), but there was little to no extra give to make up for the difference. I even tried to use a piece without any of the foam backing, it is fairly easy to peel it off, and I did use that technique in several spots to gain some clearance, such as the B pillars opening for the seat belt slider. But that didn't look good either.

So, to take a woodworking truism, I "celebrated the joint" by making the covering in two parts and then folding over one edge so I had a fairly neat finished edge that followed the line of the panel. Maybe a pro could do it better, but its all mine and I'm fairly happy with the result and it's mostly done except for putting the sun roof panel back in and sorting out the motor issues. I'll save that for a day where I can get an early start and not worry about rain. Here is what the C pillar looks like installed:

This is to show the problem area of the panel, no way to cover it without the fabric bunching up and looking lousy.

Hope this all helps the next guy brave enough to take this job on.
GrumpleStache likes this.
#19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 1999 C230K
wow! that looks fantastic!

very nice job

#20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 05:45 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1999 C230 Kompressor - white
Wow, that looks awesome Aquinob! Love the look. I may need u to come and do mines. Lol!

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class