Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2000 C230 KOMPRESSOR ISSUES

11K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  wayne.hyde 
#1 ·
Hi I have had my Kompressor for about 3 months now and love it. BUT, I am experiencing a few problems. :confused:
#1. Upon acceleration (with my hood up and manually accelerating the engine) I can here a grinding/rattling noise coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. You can hear it inside the car when you accelerate or are coasting lightly using the gas. This is puzzling since most of the other forums i've ran across say its from the Cat Converter or AC pully, etc. Any fast assistance with this one would be greatly appreciated. I love this car and would hate for it to die out.

#2. When it rains (and since I'm stationed in southeast Georgia it rains a lot!) and I raise, not slide back, my sunroof later on (with droplets still on the glass) I have a stream of water that comes in the car from the S.O.S. button above my visor. It only happens when I turn.

#3. When accelerating, if I try to take off to get into traffic quickly or am just starting out in the mornings, the car seems to jerks or miss almost sounding like its over revving. I have changed the spark plugs and did the engine oil change. The coil packs seem to be original, but from experience I wouldn't think it to be a coil pack since its only with acceleration.

PLEASE HELP!!! :(

See less See more
#6 ·
Dipstick is on eBay.

If you can take the sunroof and get a look at it you may be able to clean the tubes out.

The supercharger clutchis available separately, should have the part number right on the pulley. Then you can go to parts.com to find a price. Sometimes a good low miles supercharger shows up on thebay.

#7 · (Edited)
It is very common for the compressor clutch to rattle on these cars. I have read numerous documents stating that some even from the factory had this rattle and some got replaced right through warranty as well and not many miles later the rattle was back. We have a 1999 c230k that we purchased with 125k miles. It now has 150k miles and the rattle has been there since we purchased it. it is used as an every day car and the supercharger still engages and disengages when needed. You should really worry when it either does not engage or disengage, then I would likely suggest to replace the unit in its entirety. These people http://www.canadiansupercharger.com/index.html sell the unit reconditioned I believe and also offer warranty. For now Im assuming the "if it aint broken, why fix it" approach. Cheers!

#8 ·
FYI the rattling sound could be coming from the cover of the alternator which has nothing to do with the performance of the car? I had the same sound when the car starts to move (I press gas) and as it slows down from 20/30 km/h to zero and it doesn't affect anything in the car. I hope this is what u have cause anything else may take a lot of work to fix

#10 ·
I have fixed this rattle by removing the kompressor clutch face plate and preening the rivets. It appears the plastic cover seems to loosen and makes an annoying and unsophisticated rattle like bolts in a can. Unfortunately this only lasted for a couple of thousand miles, so it will come off again tomorrow, in search of another more permanent fix. It sounds like something serious but definitely is not. So other than the embarrassment of a $40k car sounding like a piece of junk, it doesn't do any damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.