Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 1999 c280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1999 c280, sporadic rough idle + Surging

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker here, finally got around to making an account so hopefully I can turn myself around and take better care of my beloved 1999 c280.

Over the past 3-4 months, I have been experiencing an interesting intermittent issue. Every once in a while, my car will hesitate when accelerating and then pull forward (surging I think). During this, the CEL will flash for a second or two, and then just become solid.

After going to a local trustworthy shop, they ran the codes, multiple engine misfires. They recommended that I initially replace the plugs, and if that didn't work, to move on to the wires and possibly coils. I got the plugs replaced, and the car drove silky smooth for like a week, when it happened one more time (only once). I went back to the shop, still getting the multiple engine misfire codes and then misfire codes on particular cylinders.

In addition to this, every once in a while my car will idle really roughly. Its bizarre, sometimes it runs perfect, sometimes it doesn't. After doing some reading, I'm thinking about replacing the MAF with a bosch unit from one of the two primary sites mentioned on these forums. Does this sound like a MAF issue to any of you other w202 owners?

Also, I am very amateur at repairing cars myself, and am looking to learn more, so any additional advice on things I should order when possibly ordering the MAF that will be useful in the future for maintenance, please let me know.

Thanks for the help everyone, I hope I havent broken any cardinal forum sins within this post

-Junt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 02:38 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 1999 MBZ C230K
Work the codes first! You replaced the plugs. Now replace the coils.

It sounds like you may have a bad MAF as well, but if you replaced plugs and still misfires, REPLACE the coils first, then come back here and report any problems which persist. Searching this forum by the code works great! I've resolved several problems by doing no more than this.

Coils and plugs on my '99 C230 is less than a 30 minute job, with the right tools. You will have to invest in some specialized tools to work on these vehicles. Start with high quality metric sockets, Torx Sockets and good variety of hex-driver sizes. These tools will get you through most repairs along with your standard tools.

Make sure the ignition is OFF if you decide to DIY. For double safety, go ahead and disconnect the negative battery cable...its never a bad idea when working with electrical.

MB's are exceptionally well designed and manufactured vehicles(mechanically at least), but always remember its still just a car.

Best of Luck!!

C

Last edited by c_c230k; 05-23-2012 at 02:44 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 02:43 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the quick reply.

From what I have heard, the 1999 c280 is actually a more complicated plug/wire/coil job because it has 12 plugs, and is more difficult to deal with. It also significantly increases the cost of any repair regarding those parts. Are you familiar with this? Thanks again for the input! Greatly appreciated.

-Junt
#4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 04:21 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2007
First, it's hard to fix a problem when it's intermittent.

Second, though I can't fix your problem, maybe I can make it easier to live with. When it starts running badly. Shut car down and restart. The computer will restart all cylinders, and only shut them down when it senses a misfire, which could be next week or the next block.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 06:08 PM

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to rjb190e Send a message via Yahoo to rjb190e
Quote:
Originally Posted by juntistik View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.

From what I have heard, the 1999 c280 is actually a more complicated plug/wire/coil job because it has 12 plugs, and is more difficult to deal with. It also significantly increases the cost of any repair regarding those parts. Are you familiar with this? Thanks again for the input! Greatly appreciated.

-Junt
Heres a DIY from the 210 board for the 3.2 M112. It's similar.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ain-drive.html

#6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 07:50 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinstockman View Post
First, it's hard to fix a problem when it's intermittent.

Second, though I can't fix your problem, maybe I can make it easier to live with. When it starts running badly. Shut car down and restart. The computer will restart all cylinders, and only shut them down when it senses a misfire, which could be next week or the next block.
Marvin, thanks for your advice. My issue has recently gotten worse, and the other day, when idling EXTREMELY rough, I put the car into park and turned it off and on. This fix was enough to at least get me down the street back to my place. This issue is becoming more of a worry to me, and I am hesitant to drive farther than a a mile or so at a time. I am thinking about just biting the bullet and spending the funds to replace the wiring harness and the coils. Anyone have any idea what a fair quote for this would be? I have family friends with a Benz shop and they have been extremely honest (or so I think), but I would like a benchmark to compare with...

Also, to the most recent poster, thank you for the link. I will look at it. Im so paranoid about making these fixes myself, but I need to suck it up and get my hands dirty.

Thank you for the feedback everyone, you have been fantastic.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:34 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Okay everyone, I replaced the MAF, and, not surprisingly to most of you i'm sure, the car ran beautifully for two days and then surged again. Conclusion? The MAF didn't fix anything . Either way, its one thing I can scratch on my list and the Bosch MAF was a less expensive attempt then getting the coils replaced.

So now on to the next issue. The codes being sent are : Multiple engine misfires, and then misfires on particular cylinders, and an o2 sensor code.

I am now in a position where I am trying to figure out how much it could potentially cost to get the car in at least good enough shape to last me for another 3-5 years.

Does anyone have an idea on how much it should cost to have the Coils and Wires replaced on a '99 c280 (12 plugs on this car)? I am going to take it to a different shop for a 2nd opinion, but I am trying to figure out if this car is about to turn into a money pit.

Thanks everyone!

-Junt

By the way: The advice to turn it off and turn it on, and maybe it will work for a block, or a week, is completely accurate. That being said, it has saved my ass multiple times. Thanks!

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class