Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

transmission issues

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Check Codes 
#1 · (Edited)
ok so yesterday transmission was in limp mode on the way home. this morning on the way to work, it was fine. had it checked out during lunch at import shop by work (they specialize in volvo and mercedes).

they recommended i take it to a specific transmission shop for possible overhaul but at the minimum would need the transmission conductor plate replaced and shifter interlock cable repair (as their is a transmission leak).

few questions...

1) i found the conductor plate on autohausaz.com...do you really think this part needs to be replaced? can it be cleaned/etc???
2) i can't find a shifter interlock cable?
3) how do i add transmission fluid?
4) i'm thinking i may as well change the transmission fluid while i'm doing this. should i go ahead and spend the money on the tool to check the transmission level?

my main concern is getting fluid back into the transmission (as i know it has been leaking and is low) and replacing this conductor plate/shifter interlock cable. I can't imagine that it needs an overhaul considering it shifts really pretty smoothly.

any help is GREATLY appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
If you cruise over to the W210 forum and look in the help/diy stickies, you'll find a 722.6xx FAQ thread. It will arm you with all the information you need, including answering your questions.

And you likely do need a conductor plate. The early years did have problems with them. And I'd guess the interlock cable if what they are calling the adapter/pilot bushing, it's a common source of leaks. But buy it from the dealer, the aftermarket ones are junk.

If you don't want to diy, then go to the other shop; I'm not sure they are sufficiently familiar with the transmission given your post. ;)

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.